No announcement yet.

The Stainless Steel '60 Tbirds

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

THANKS RAY!
    You went out of your way again, working so hard to get these pictures and getting them posted, for all of us to enjoy!
    Question, it looks like only the skin is stainless, am I correct or not?
    Still what a beautiful example of The Ford Thunderbird!!!
    Thanks again,
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
      Experienced
      • Jan 5 2008

Stainless '60 substructure

Only the exterior skin is stainless - the remainder of the underbody is carbon steel. During the '91 VTCI International in Falls Church, VA when one of the stainless cars was on display we had a Q&A session about it. One of the comments that came up was that the stainless has to be separated from the inner structure with either a copper spacer or some other material to prevent dielectric action between the two dissimilar metals.
      Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
      Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
      Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• bird 60
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 18 2009

I've got & couple of questions.
        Which weighed more , the Stainless or regular T. Birds, &
        by how much? What guage were the Stainless as per the Steel?

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

Nice Job

Nice Job Ray --- sorry to see so much damage to the right side of the SS 60 bird-- I wonder why it has not been restored along with the dents in the left door

am I seeing correctly that the underside of the hood and trunk are painted white?

and looking at the engine those do not seem to be stock valve covers --- a lot of differences that i did not expect to see

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Thank you! I will try to answer some of your questions. I do not know what gauge of stainless steel was used. I do know that the body was made of Type 302 stainless steel. The trim was made of Type 430 stainless steel. Alan has answered the question regarding the exterior of these two Tbirds.

As to why the damage to the Tbird in the picture has not been restored, leadership changes over the years. At first, they were very well cared for. Then someone made the decision to allow Employee's of the Month to drive them each month. Then later on this was stopped, and then started again, I think. So the cars were damaged from daily use. They have been overhauled completely in the past. But there does not seem to be the interest in A-L to overhaul them again.

Yes, white paint was used under the hood, and in the trunk and other places on the car. Someone over the years, probably replaced the original valve covers with those you see on the car.

'59 Tbird weighs 3810 lbs. I think the regular '59 & '60 Tbirds weigh the same. The '60 SS Tbird weighs 3,955lbs according to information I have.

I will probably put some more information on the web page about the Tnirds later on tonight. Or tomorrow.
            Last edited by YellowRose; May 3, 2009, 01:20 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Ray -- that answers my questions---- just cant belive they were allowed to get that way--

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I have added more information about the two 60 SS Tbirds, and an additional picture. You can find it all here:

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• bird 60
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Mar 18 2009

I noticed that the windshield wipers overlap, as the typical Squrebirds are tip to tip. Stainless Steel or not I still prefer paint. Thanks for digging up the info Ray & what's the latest on "Yellow Rose"?

Chris ....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

A new fuel pump was put on Rose over the weekend. The oil was flushed and changed and a new Mobile 1 filter put on. The temp. sending unit needs to be checked to see if it went. If so, a new one will go on. Then the Temp gauge needs to be calibrated. After that, she needs to be checked out, road tested and cleaned up. I might get her back later this week. Thanks for asking.

Comment

• tbird430
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 18 2007

It's just my opinion, but I wish the VTCI restorers would have left the stock valve covers & polished stainless steel Sunray wheel covers on that RARE Bird!

I can't beleive the damage to the right front fender either!!

-Jon
                      sigpic
                      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Actually, the Gene Makrancy article says it was a member of the VTCA, (Vintage Tbird Club Of America) not the VTCI who did the restoration. However, after reading the history of the ITC (International Thunderbird Club) I found that VTCA was the original name of VTCI, but they changed it from VTCA to VTCI. So it appears that it was VTCA/VTCI members who did the restoration. As to why they made those changes, I have no clue!

Comment

• scumdog
                          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by tbird430;31208

[COLOR=#00bfff
                          I can't beleive the damage to the right front fender either!![/COLOR]

-Jon
                          Likewise.

What a magic car.
                          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Howard Prout
                            Experienced
                            • Feb 11 2009

Originally posted by YellowRose
                            I found that VTCA was the original name of VTCI, but they changed it from VTCA to VTCI. So it appears that it was VTCA/VTCI members who did the restoration. As to why they made those changes, I have no clue!
                            I was a member of VTCA (Vintage Thunderbird Club of America) before it became VTCI (Vintage Thunderbird Club International). The reason for the name change was to be inclusive of those of us who do not live in the USA. My window sticker and licence plate frames are VTCA!
                            sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

Hey Guys,
                              I know it will never happen, but I would love to see one of us get this SS Thunderbird and get her back to her glory.
                              I least one of us would love her and take care of her.
                              THIS IS A SHAME!!!
                              THUNDERBIRDS FOREVER!!!
                              Richard D. Hord

Comment

• saverio
                                Experienced
                                • Mar 14 2005

Ss T-bird

BEAUTIFUL LOOKING CAR!!!!

FYI - There is a Norcal VTCA club in northern California.

sal
                                Sal III

60 T BD

Thunderbird Registry # 33126 - VTCI # 11138- CTCI #02521

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎