Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Victor ~ vmg Owns a Mexican Assembled 1957 Babybird!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Victor ~ vmg Owns a Mexican Assembled 1957 Babybird!

We are pleased to have a new user on the Forum from Mexico! He is the proud owner of one of the very rare 197 Babybirds that were assembled in the La Villa plant in Mexico! You will see in the pix that it looks to be in excellent condition, is red with black hardtop and black engine bay. Here is what he had to say about it.

"Hi Ray:
    Thanks for the welcome and for letting me know you have a lot of information on them. I just know very little, and it sums up to production numbers, and that is about it.

Generally speaking, and since I assume Mexico was considered a “tropical” country, cars sold here very seldomly had heaters and expensive equipment. Since we didn’t (and still we don’t at some places) have nice roads, things like Overdrive transmissions were not common. I am talking about cars in general, even nice expensive brands. I own for instance what was the most expensive regular 1941 Packard, and it does not have heater or overdrive, among other options.

However, in the case of my particular Thunderbird, I find it curious that it has most of the options, like the underseat control for the electric seat, electric windows, overdrive, radio, trunk antenna, etc. It is a nice original 60,000 km (45,000 miles) car. I am the second owner. It’s main deviation from originality is that it originally was yellow, and it is now bright orange with black engine compartment. I bought it this way. Also, it has a vinyl covered roof, but the material and workmanship would appear to be from the era.

Anyhow, attached are some pics. None of them are good. I got the car with lousy tires, and changed them provisionally to black walls, to start using it. Once I restore it will have to go back to wide whitewalls. It does have original upholstery in mostly reasonable condition, but I have changed the dash pad, sunvisors, trunk material…. Feel free to make any comments on it. I am always eager to learn! I know it is far from perfect but it is a good used which I enjoy a lot. Best regards, Victor."

Then he further commented.

"
    The pics were taken these past couple of years. I bought it on 2017 from the grandson of the original owner. They show the car as it is now. I have done very little to it: tires, dash pad, sunvisors, trunk mat, air cleaner seal, and a few bits more. Eventually, I would have to take it apart and return it to it’s yellow color. I might save seats, door panels (far from perfect) and a few more things.

Also, feel free to ask for any detail picture you would want to see. By the way, I would appreciate if you can tell me if the brake booster looks correct to you.

One interesting bit: A friend tells me he knows a 1957 mexican Tbird, E code, with the dual carbs, I will try to get a pic for you.
    Best, Victor."

During my investigations into 1955-1957 Mexican assembled Babybirds I read that all 1957 Babybirds from La Villa had E7MEXH as the beginning Vin #. Except 2 of them! Those two had D7MEXH as the beginning VIN # and I know the VIN # of the first one. This looks the be the 2nd one! BTW, his Tbird IS listed in the John Rotella tbirdinfo Registry back in 2017. It was listed at that time to have been in Texas!

I would appreciate it if someone can answer his question regarding if the brake booster looks to be correct. I do not know the answer to that question.

Here are those pix! enjoy!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 13 photos.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Victor also welcome to our truly international site where you will find some of the most knowledgeable birders around. Ask any questions answer where you can and participate often Great to see another 57 survivor and is she re-registered in the TBird registry (located in the TRL section) on our site?​​​
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Dano, it is already registered in the John Rotella Tbird Registry and also the Dave Tulowitzky Babybird Registry. I updated Dave regarding the location and who owns it now and need to do the same for tbird.info.That Tbird was last reported to be in Texas! Also by the VIN# it is only 1 of 2 1957 Babybirds to be known to have D7MEX as the start of the VIN#. I know the 1st one because the official Mexican Registration form confirming that VIN# is listed in the 1955-1957 Mexican assembly production information in the Thunderbird Production History Forum. So I told Victor now knows that he owns the 2nd one. All the other 1957 Mexican assembled Babybirds VIN#'s start with E7MEX. Why Mexico changed from E7MEX to D7MEX, Dave says he does not know why they changed it and we may never know.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎