Announcement

Collapse

Price is right

Squarebirds.org has not raised our 'paid membership' fee in over 15 years. It remains at US$20 and it will NOT raise in 2022 or 2023 (pandemic, inflation, or not). - Dave
See more
See less

Paint at last!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint at last!

After some metal work and a lot of prep, I was finally able to get color on my 1960 430 Sunroof. The color is the original 'Royal Burgandy', done in Xalta Chromabase with a Nason clear. After some 'cut & buff ' I can spend the winter doing re-assembly.

Carl

SUNROOFPAINT.jpg

Carl nicely done and great colour.
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Looking great keep posting as you progress.

Comment

Looks good! It would be a delight to see this one on the showfield at Ford Nationals next year.
        Jim Kowal
        Thunderbird Registry #82613

Comment

Yup! Looks Great! Keep posting pix as you can! Beautiful paint color!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Regarding the paint, I started with a quart of royal burgandy from the TCP color library. It looked kind of flat and un-impressive. I then had the color on the car scanned and the result was a much more vibrant burgandy with a nice touch of metallic. The car had been re-sprayed once, so I'm not sure if the respray was the accurate rendition of the original color or the past owner's choice, but it was very close. If anyone needs the formula in Xalta (old Dupont), I can provide it. Beware, the paint was 900. for a gallon.
            Carl

Comment

Carl did I read your post correctly. $900 a gallon
              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Yes, that is correct. Automotive paints are priced based on the components of the paint. Reds are also in the expensive spectrum, and being a metallic also adds to the cost. There are no discounts at the auto paint stores, only free mixing sticks and strainers.

Comment

Carl, your paint job is stunningly beautiful.

Dano, we're only buying a gallon or quarts at a time and we always buy more than we need just to ensure there's enough to finish the job. To further cost cutting, Ford uses 'batch processing' which means, they paint the same color on the next 20 cars or so (no gun cleaning between cars) which saves wasted paint and solvent. Some classic cars are two-tone but modern cars rarely use more than one color.

The 'big boys', like Ford, buy paint by the tanker truck, they only offer very limited color choices and they never buy more than they need for each car. .Ford uses 'bake cure' enamel that requires 250F degree heat on a bare body with NO trim. 250F degrees for 30-minutes will melt plastic and blow out tires. Aftermarket uses two-part epoxy paint that needs no heat to cure.

Everything is different, once departed from the factory including methods and costs. A 'factory assembled' vehicle is actually a fantastic bargain.

I watched a YouTube video where the painter mixed a whole gallon of paint (for two guys shooting paint). Half the gallon hardened in the bucket before he could use it. THAT was an expensive mistake. He should have spent the time to mix a quart at a time. Can you imagine throwing $450 out for an avoidable mistake?
                  My latest project:
                  CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

34.jpg

Comment

The sealer I used on this job had a 1 hr pot life at 70 degrees F. It was 80 in the booth so that shortened the pot life. If we had mixed all the paint for the job before we started we could have reached the pot life before we finished spraying the sealer.

Comment

how much did you actually use to do the whole car?

Comment

I only did the outer surfaces including the fender skirts. Sealer, 1 coat 1-1/2 qts plus activator (4 to 1); Basecoat 2 medium coats 1/2 gal base plus 1/2 gal reducer; Clear 3 medium wet coats 1-1/2 gal plus activator (3 to 1)

Comment

Working...
                          X