My 59 T-bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 59 T-bird

Just picked up this 59 HT. Car appears very solid and straight. Running 352. Have plans to address a couple rust issues, rewire, install AC, then paint. Started restoring classics about 15 years ago as a hobby. Turned out to more of a passion. Have had the car for just over a week, have started the tear down process, looking forward to any and all input, comments and pointers going forward, thanks, Kel

Hi Kelly,

Hope you have a great time working on the bird and hope it's as solid and straight as you say. I'm sure
    you'll get the help and pointers you may need when you ask the questions. Oh, check the registry for
    the VIN and if it's not there please add it to the records. Thunderbird Registry 1955-2005 Thunderbirds (tbird.info)
    Looking forward to watching this bird fly yet again so best of luck moving forward.
    Pat M.
    Monson, MA
    1959 HT Hickory Tan, Thunderbird registry #77617

Comment

Welcome Kelly and congratulations on your new project. Send us pix as you progress, and pix of some of the other projects that you had done in the past. Ask questions and you'll get answers, that's what the club is all about.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

Thanks Chris, picture album has started. Here's a few pics of past projects. Really looking forward to bringing this bird back to life. Matter of fact, actually got her running to I drove it down the street and back. I'm guessing that is first time in 10-12 years it had actually been in gear with motor running. Very pleased, after little tweaking with timing, ran/idled well, no smoke out the back. Kel

Comment

Thanks for posting the pix, Kelly! Those are some great before and after pix! It will be fun to watch what you do with your Squarebird. Years ago when our Founder and Webmaster, Alexander Sosiak was alive I was able to talk with him regarding what I should do with my new acquisition. People did not like the Cashmere color of it, nor did I. I wanted to get rid of the generator, and replace it with an alternator, (and I did). I was thinking of getting rid of the black and white interior, and adding front disc brakes to her, (and I did). So I asked him what he thought I should do, and he said I had some options. I could keep her original as she was, or I could customize her in any way I wanted to. He also said that since I paid the money to buy her, I could do anything I wanted to with her... So I took that information to heart and here is what she looked after I customized her.. When she left here, her trunk was full of trophies... I replaced the black seat belts with white ones encased in clear plastic to protect them. The floor mats were my show mats, also encased in clear plastic to keep them clean. Under then were the black Tbird driving mats I turned the tires around to hide the brand name. If it moved, I chromed it. Take a look at the front seat base. I stripped off the vinyl and chromed them, along with the metal foot plates. All chrome, inside and out, was re-chromed. I will have to post pix of Tweety 2 in another post. Ran up to the 20 pix limit on posting pix! lol.. If they don't all show large, you should see the smaller pix. I did all the interior and exterior paint designing and let the pro's make it all come to life.. But maybe this might give you some ideas, or not, on what to do with your Bird!
          Last edited by YellowRose; June 14th, 2021, 02:23 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Now for pix of Tweety 2, which still has a couple of months of warranty on her. She is a blast to drive, and THINKS she is a 5.0, V6 and a Cobra! Lmbo... It drives the originalists wild! I get stopped a lot by people who want to see what I have under the hood! And what she has is a 2.3L Turbo V4! The badges were a gift from Dave ~ simplyconnected, to have fun with and I have. Here are some pix. I just a few weeks ago got rid of the 20" low profile tires and rims, for a new set of OEM 18" Pirelli Zero Nero's, brand spanking new with the nubs on the tires still and they still are! A fellow Mustang owner swapped his wife's tires off her brand new 2020 Mustang they just bought because he runs 20" tires and rims on his several Mustangs he owns. It was a sweet deal for me. I hated the ride on those 20''s.. Here are the pix of my Triple Yellow 2017 Mustang Premium with a little jazzing up I did with her...BTW, Kelly as a Paid Member you can have your own personal Avatar. Or you could pick one from the Avatar's available on the Forum. If you have something in mind, send it to me in a PM or an email. You have my email addys in the Welcome PM I sent ya! Also, look for your Data Plate on the drivers side of the car door. When you open the door wide you should see the Data Plate riveted to the post the door closes on. Take a good, clear pic of it and send it to me in a PM or email. I can break it down for you and tell you what your Tbird looked like when it left the factory!
            Last edited by YellowRose; June 14th, 2021, 07:10 AM.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Ray, BOTH sweet rides....I'd drive the wheels off either one! I already decoded the tag, off top of my head, I know it came off the line Aug 7? Was green/white. I have the interior gutted, did not find any other paperwork. Plan for now is to get underside prepped for new gas tank, right now just using 1 gallon can in engine bay. Was very happy to see it move under its own power.

Comment

The date on the Data Plate was an estimated date as to when they thought it would go down the line. It could have been before or after that date on the Data Plate depending if they were ahead or behind in production. I see you have taken out the carpeting, which could be another place they use to hide them. Often it was in the back seat rest springs or in the seat springs. Some have found them in excellent condition, some found them in tattered condition, or all crumbled up into dust.. Some, like me, never did find mine... Yesss, I am sure you enjoyed seeing it move on its own! Keep in mind that as you have questions post away in the 1958-1960 Squarebird Forum, so all can see and respond to them. I would still like to talk with you!

Comment

Working...
                X