Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • V-John
    Experienced
    • Mar 22 2013

Megan likes 'Tony' because he was a girl-getter, and he got her on first sight!

I took the carb off today and cleaned that filth and everything else that was on it. Putting it back on the angle of it was more pronounced. I just read an older post about the wedge spacer and also the wedge gasket. I'll have to take a closer look at that thick gasket to see if it angled and put on wrong.

I went to that little car show put on by the Boy Scouts yesterday. They only had one T-Bird. It was a really good turnout on a cool sunny day.
    1959 Thunderbird - Thunderbird Registry #46052

Comment

• klattu
      • Aug 18 2011

Date

Make Prom the goal !
      1959 Thunderbird HT

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

'59, gift to my daughter

That wedged shaped spacer goes on with the thick part towards the radiator and the thin side towards the firewall.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• V-John
          Experienced
          • Mar 22 2013

Originally posted by klattu
          Make Prom the goal !
          She's already set on using my mom's Porsche

Comment

• V-John
            Experienced
            • Mar 22 2013

My carb gasket is even all around. It's about 3/8-1/2" thick. I ordered the wedge from Tbird HQ today. Their online catalog showed $40, but the parts guy said they're $50 now. I should get my heat riser tomorrow.

Comment

• V-John
              Experienced
              • Mar 22 2013

While waiting on parts, I just keep on doing whatever I can. The rear tail light chrome backings were in awful shape. The black was hand-painted and showed brush strokes. I polished the chrome and carefully taped each horizontal rib so it would be shiny top, facing, and below. I started with gloss black, but the paint itself was crap. So, I decided on semi-gloss and primer and it came out swell. It was a full day-into-the night endeavor.

I couldn't help the chrome blemishes being visible

But it looks a heck of a lot better. Someday we'll find some brand new tail light buckets and rings. For now, they'll work just fine

I had to get a car cover because of the darn cats

While waiting for paint to dry I installed the new glovebox liner, and ended up putting in about 10 screws in the center console, kick panels, and dash where they were missing. The interior light didn't work so I checked the bulb. Didn't have one. So I stuck one in and checked the door switch for it. The plunger was missing and the 2 wires were just hanging. So I plugged it in and it still didn't work. Does it need the plunger to make the connection for it to come on?
              Last edited by V-John; April 25, 2013, 01:47 PM. Reason: added more text

Comment

• V-John
                Experienced
                • Mar 22 2013

I've got some gap/ alignment problems going on in the rear. It seems that the license plate door should be up and more parallel with the bumper. I fooled around with it but it seems that the whole spring-loaded arm needs to get bent in a little more to have it hug the bumper more. I found that I'm missing some rubber bumpers on it as well. I got a gas cap that actually seals the tank since the other one was on its death throes. It looks like it's pushing the door out, but it's not:

And then the trunk lid weather stripping seems to be either too thick or needs to be one with a crease so it would hug the lip around the trunk instead of sitting on top of it. Even adjusting the latch won't get it to push into the weather stripping. Any ideas, other than slicing a groove in it all the way around?

Comment

• KULTULZ

Now That Is Clean...

Comment

• dgs
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Feb 13 2003

Nice work, it's coming along nicely. Oh, and you've got nothing in terms of leaks. Here's mine from when I did my suspension rebuild:

DGS (aka salguod)
                    1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                    www.salguod.net

Comment

• V-John
                      Experienced
                      • Mar 22 2013

Originally posted by dgs
                      Here's mine from when I did my suspension rebuild:
                      Yeah, I'd say that has a slight leak somewhere!

My daughter was off to the prom tonight in my mom's car. She was thrilled to drive the Porsche. Next year, it WILL be the year of the Thunderbird.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

She's a pretty girl. Hope she had a great time at the prom. - Dave
                        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
                          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by dgs
                          Nice work, it's coming along nicely. Oh, and you've got nothing in terms of leaks. Here's mine from when I did my suspension rebuild:

Did the Torrey Canyon run aground in there somewhere??
                          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• V-John
                            Experienced
                            • Mar 22 2013

As shown above, my trunk lid doesn't close flush because the weatherseal under it is mostly square and thick.

Is this what is supposed to be installed so the ridge around the trunk sits in the groove?

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That's basically what it looks like. The ridge doesn't really go into the groove. It just compresses against it. Here's how it should go.

John
                              Attached Files
                              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Jun 30 2009

your dome light wont light up unless the plunger on the door switch pops out and lets the internal contacts touch each other.

When I got my car, there was a piece of an old match stick in one of the door switches (plunger was gone). I removed the match stick, and then the dang dome light wouldnt shut off!
                                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎