• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ricksta56
    Apprentice
    • Jun 27 2022

E-tech interest

Hi Ford Folk,
    Does anyone know about Fords E vehicles?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

What is your question?
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• ricksta56
      Apprentice
      • Jun 27 2022

Has anyone converted a T-bird to a ford E motor?

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

When I was a kid, swapping motors and transmissions was commonplace. Not today because the controls and harnesses are pretty much specific to the factory installed powertrain. I'll take the Mustang for an example.

Ford offered the Cobra-R that came with a 351Windsor but NOT an automatic transmission. GT (5.0's) had auto or stick shift. Why not an automatic in the R's?, Because the torque converter would need to be a high-stall and the EEC was too busy with the engine and car controls to also control street type racing applications. It was far easier and cheaper for Ford to simply offer the stick only and let the driver control the car.

To change from an older 5.0 to a Coyote setup would require not just the engine but EEC, harnesses and just about everything else from a modern 'Coyote car'. Can it be done? Yes, but most backyard mechanics won't bother with OEM EFI, cat converters, oxygen sensor bungs, etc., unless their car came from the factory with all that.

All transmissions are 'electronic' now, which makes the old mechanical AOD so popular with hotrodders, even if the conversion plate costs over US$1,000.00. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• ricksta56
          Apprentice
          • Jun 27 2022

Hi Dave
          What I been thinking about is converting "Classic Cars" with combustion engines to E cars. There are several shops and some privateers around the country doing this. Mostly I read about Tesla motors being used. In my TBird the E motor could be yoked up to the driveshaft. No trans needed. I've read about the Ford F truck series E motor a bit. I haven't researched using the Ford E motor, Ford batteries and control components yet. The shop I'm most impressed with to date is EV West out of San Marcos, CA. They sent me a parts sheet to do my 51 Chevy. Tesla motor....... the battery technology keeps improving so quickly that it almost seems wise to wait a bit. Also that is where the major cost lies. for 20K ish was the cost for the 51. They did a 51 Chevy pick up for a client and he's been tooling it around for 5-6 years now.

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

In January 2021, Ford Motor Company filed to trademark “Thunderbird” with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) last year! It is thought to be, like the new Mustang, an Electric model.

Ford Thunderbird Project Envisioned As High Performance Halo

As a comparison as to what the specs are on the new 2022 Mustang EV car are presently, here is that info. Range, less than 300 miles per charge.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/models/mach-e-gt/

Some have asked what is a "Halo" Car? Here is what it is. I gather the 2022 Mustang Mach E electric car by Ford falls into this category to a degree. Here are more.

Last edited by YellowRose; September 26, 2022, 02:13 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• ricksta56
              Apprentice
              • Jun 27 2022

Thanks for chiming in Ray
              The mustang Mach EV car advert makes it sound fun to drive for sure. I didn't see a range per charge or other tech stats yet.
              Wonder if they'll sell me the running gear to retro fit into my classic Tbird
              OK by clicking models and specs I found some info $61K 270 mile range
              actually there's tons of info on that page
              Last edited by ricksta56; September 27, 2022, 02:08 AM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

This is not a good time to have an electric vehicle in Florida.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• ricksta56
                  Apprentice
                  • Jun 27 2022

I just met a neighbor at the local watering hole with the new e-stang. he says it gets about 130 miles per charge. it sounded like a buzz/humm toy as he drove up to park. Not impressed. I happened to be standing there looking at the lake. I have super sonic sense of hearing. He and his wife claim that they don't hear a thing. I don't know what model they own, but I wouldn't want one.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

We just went through two bouts of power outages in Detroit, one from an ice storm and the other from a lot of heavy snow. More than 800,000 Michigan residents were without power.
                    Again, not a good time to own an electric vehicle, especially if you plan on going to work. I heard many gasoline-powered generators on my block.

Our grid here is nowhere near ready for EV's. Funny how we fall back on gasoline because it works. - Dave​

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎