Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thought the group would like to read this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought the group would like to read this.

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...breaking-news/

Hi Sherman! Thanks for posting this! Here is where we might be at... The Thunderbird brand name was last renewed back in 2016. That could have just been to protect the brand name from being used by some other company. Or... perhaps, back then, they were considering building another Tbird, but decided against it. Instead, they decided to take the Mustang electric... It might be the same thing with this renewal of the name. Or... like the 2021 Mustang Mach-E, they may be thinking of coming out with an Electric version of the Tbird... Here is some information regarding Electric cars that might interest ya'll...

IF Ford is planning on marketing the Thunderbird again, as an Electric version, it will probably have the same range as the 2021 Mustang Mach-E...

The 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E driving range...

According to the EPA, the Mustang Mach-E will come in two powertrain variants: standard-range and extended-range, with both options available in a dual-motor, AWD setup. The extended-range option nets buyers an additional 60-70 miles of range, with this option delivering 270 miles for the AWD version and 300 for the RWD version. The standard range Mach-E comes in at 211 miles for AWD and 230 miles for RWD.

Most early electric vehicles (about 2011 – 2016) were capable of about 100 miles of driving before they need to be recharged. Current electric vehicles travel about 250 miles on a charge, though there are some, such as Teslas, that can do about 350 miles on a charge.

IF Ford decides to market the Tbird again, it would be good for driving around town to go to all the S&S events, but with the present driving range of 200-300 miles, it would not be viable to drive it any long distances to other events or for other reasons. Not until they can perfect the battery life to allow 500-1000 mile ranges without charging.. And not until they have easily accessible charging stations across the country... That might be some time in the future. We will just have to see if Ford suddenly announces a new Tbird to be built. One would hope that they would ask present Tbird owners for input, but I do not think we had any opportunity to do so when they came out with the Retrobird...

Last edited by YellowRose; January 20th, 2021, 07:58 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

The Mustang is built in the Auto Alliance plant with Mazda. It was a low-production vehicle so the decision to make it electric was an easy one for WHQ. Ford has not made a car in the USA for many years. They make SUVs in the US. I highly doubt Ford will begin making a Thunderbird here. - Dave
      My latest project:
      CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

According to this, the 2021 Mustang Mach-E is now being built here....Prior to this year, in Flat Rock, Michigan... They list 6 USA plants where Fords are now "assembled"...
        • Cuautitlán Izcalli, Mexico: 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
        https://www.akinsford.com/blog/where...-manufactured/

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

I retired from Dearborn Assembly plant where the Mustang was continually built since 1964. In 2002 Ford made a lot of changes to The Rouge, tearing down Dearborn Asssembly and building Dearborn Truck Plant. (The Mustang went to Flatrock.) Why a truck plant? Ford always made more trucks than cars so this move guaranteed a lot of security for Rouge workers. Remember, Henry Ford was from Dearborn and that's where his company roots remain.

Flatrock was built in 1972 as a replacement for Dearborn Iron Foundry (also in The Rouge and also torn down). The brand new plant was officially known as Michigan Casting Center (MCC) and it cast eight cylinder engines (including the 427). In about 1984, Ford closed MCC and it sat idle for some time. Then, Mazda bought it for a joint venture with Ford Motor Co., making the Probe but also several Mazda vehicles likes the Mazda MX-6, Mazda 626 and Mazda6. The plant was called Mazda Motor Manufacturing USA, AutoAlliance International, then Flatrock Assembly Plant (where it now makes Mustang and Lincoln). Mazda wanted to make a truck or something with a lot of volume but Ford wouldn't agree.

Here's the confusing part... Mazda still owns 50% of the plant even though they don't produce Mazda cars there any more. Is it Ford? I don't know but I do know that since Dearborn Assembly and Wixom were leveled, Ford needed a facility to make Mustangs and Lincolns. Many of our car lines went to Mexico like the Focus and the Mustang. I don't think Mustang sales are enough to support two plants. Two seat cars don't sell well. Other cars were made in Mexico too like Crown Victoria and Marquis, before they were dropped.

I haven't seen many Mustangs that were built in Flat Rock. The vast majority come from Mexico because of the USMCA agreement. This breaks my heart because Dearborn Stamping Plant and Dearborn Glass Plant were next door to Dearborn Assembly. So, most all of the body was within feet, not thousands of miles away and the V8 engine is made in Romeo, MI (50 miles from Dearborn). The old man is rolling in his grave. - Dave
          My latest project:

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

After reading this I went into the garage to see what my 2017 Mustang says regarding where it was built at. All I could see on the Data Plate regarding a location was in the lower right corner of the Data Plate where it says USA followed by a bunch of numbers...

Comment

Originally posted by YellowRose View Post
              After reading this I went into the garage to see what my 2017 Mustang says regarding where it was built at. All I could see on the Data Plate regarding a location was in the lower right corner of the Data Plate where it says USA followed by a bunch of numbers...
              What are those numbers?
              My latest project:

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

I gave the VIN # to Dave and he was able to tell me that my 2017 Mustang Premium was built in the Flat Rock, Michigan plant!

Comment

My 2015 was also built at Flat Rock

Comment

Electric car range listed is many times optimum. It dives in cold weather due to running accessories, it dives at higher highway speeds. You really shouldn't be fast charging to 100%, so assume 80% (which is what most recommend charging too, as going to 100% takes a lot longer and is not as good for the batts).

And until they have 15 minute or less charging, not going to work for me. Not that often, but at a moments notice I might want to go look at a part or project within a days drive. I've done 600+ mile trips just to check out a vehicle. In cold weather @ 80 MPH, you will have to charge at least twice. It's almost a 2 day trip then.

Becomes much worse if you are talking about towing (not that birds or stangs tow anything really, but the electric F150 is going to try).
                    59-430-HT

Comment

Working...
                    X