Tweety Bird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweety Bird?

picture from an auto auction in Houston, Texas..... can it be??

is_it.jpg

Same thought here. I saw this on Facebook yesterday then came directly to squarebirds.org trying to find one of Ray's old pictures. Looked for about 3-4 minutes with no luck.
    Jim Kowal
    Thunderbird Registry #82613

Comment

'59TbirdYellowRose.jpg
      Yessss... It looks to me the license plate says Yel Rose, and the external chrome kit on the air scoop and surround headlights and the Corvette white treatment, that has to be The Yellow Rose Of Texas aka Tweety Bird! Sooo, it looks like the buyer has decided to sell her... Thanks for letting me know...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Ray, out of curiosity how long back (year-wise) did you sell this and then transition to Tweety Bird-2?
        Jim Kowal

Comment

Hi Jim, I sold her in May, 2019 and a few months later was missing my Yellow & White Tweety Bird, but I knew I did not want to buy a 2005 Retrobird for a number of reasons, though I like the looks of them. I had even driven one part way home for a fellow Tbird Club member who had just bought a 2005 50th Anniversary Retrobird that was almost brand new. Mainly because they were already 15+ years old and I wanted a new car if I was gonna get another Yellow car. After selling Tweety, the President of the VTCI Tbird Club in Houston, tried to contact her to invite her and Tweety into their club, but was never able to contact her.

After awhile, I remembered a visit to a certain very well known now ex VTCI President, who lives here and retired here, and has been a member of our Tbird Club for many years and still is. I had gone over to his home in the evening, some time before I sold Tweety to get something he was giving me. While there, he said that he wanted to take me into the garage and show me something but we would do it in the dark! I told him I was not sure I wanted to go into a dark garage with him and he laughed and said that I would enjoy this. So off to the garage we went in the dark and he walked over to something and opened the drivers door on something. When he did, a white running Mustang was projected onto the floor. I said "Wowwww! You have a Mustang?" He reached over and turned on the light and below is what was sitting there in his garage in all its red glory! A new Mustang GT he had just bought! He said to get in, so I did and he took me up the freeway and nearly put me in the rear seat! He told me that the Mustangs now project the Mustang image from both side mirrors at night when you open the doors.

I never forgot that ride and later, after selling Tweety, started looking for a new Mustang in Yellow. I went to my dealership and they told me they could not sell me a new Yellow Mustang because Ford had stopped making yellow ones. That I would have to look for a used 2015, 16, 17, or 18. I started looking at used Mustangs, and quickly decided I did not want a convertible, or the more expensive GT series, because they were a lot more expensive. I looked over the 2018 Triple Yellow Premium 2.3L Turbo Mustang with all the bells and whistles, heated/cooled leather black seats trimmed in yellow, bigger screen monitor, and went looking for one. I wanted one with low mileage and hopefully, with some warranty left on it, and at a price I felt I could afford. I looked for quite some time and me and the dealership could not find one here or anywhere around Texas that fit my requirements. Then I found a 2017 Triple Yellow Premium in New Orleans, contacted them, found it had not been sold yet, and it only had 10,000 miles on it and a year of warranty left. I told them I wanted it, and they wanted my Ford Focus, which I kept in like new condition. I sent them pix of it and they liked what they saw. I told them to run my credit, and tell me what their deal was and to call me after they checked me out. I told them I was not driving 8 hours only to be told we do not have a deal. In a couple of days, they did, told me the deal, I accepted it and on a Friday, very early in the morning, I was driving to New Orleans. I got there around 1:30pm and by 4:30pm, I was driving Tweety Bird 2 home!

She was built in December of 2017, sold to that dealership, sat there on their lot til the last day of August when one of their regular customers came in and bought her. No other customer wanted to buy a yellow Mustang they said til he came in. He was an older guy who trades his Mustangs in every 2-3 years like my older brother did his cars years ago. It was not his daily driver, but his weekend fun car and he only put 10,000 miles on it while he had her. She had nearly a year of warranty left on her when he came in a few days before I found her and traded her in for the new Mustang. I drove her home. That is a whole other fun story that I experienced driving her home to San Antonio! I have enjoyed her fully every day and she is my daily driver, the only and probably the last car I will own. If you go to Our Rides you will find 3 pages of all the customization I have made to Tweety 2, making her mine. You will see that on page three, I gave myself a birthday present by swapping out the chrome front and rear Mustang with matching Triple Yellow Mustangs! UPR makes those Mustangs in about a dozen different colors, including Triple Yellow. If you go to Page 1, you can see the customization I have been doing to her. I get stopped all the time by people who want to see her interior and what is under the hood. Because of what Dave ~ simplyconnected sent me to have fun with. It drives the originalist Mustang owners wild! Lol. So that is my story and I am sticking to it! Look on Page 2 to see them. I have had great response to them so far.

https://www.squarebirds.org/vbulleti...es-again/page3
          Last edited by YellowRose; August 5th, 2022, 03:40 PM.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Ray,

Funny you mention retro birds. I plan to buy a 2002 turquoise one next August as my next daily driver, and I'll retire my current daily driver (96) to the garage.

As I read your post and came across your mention of Texas and New Orleans, I could not stop thinking about how nice it must be to not live in the rustbelt. I also did not know about the mustang offering of door puddle lights. Cheers to many years ahead with tweety-2!
            Jim Kowal

Comment

Hi Jim, I do not know how much you know regarding the Retrobirds. Some bean counter at Ford in the 1990's had the bright idea of bringing back the Thunderbird (perhaps to protect anyone from taking the name due to it not being used by Ford anymore?). But instead of creating a whole new model like they did in 1955-1966, someone decided to build it on a Lincoln frame, and since they owned Jaguar then, slapped a Jaguar engine in it and called it a Thunderbird. They made 68,098 of them with the 2005 being the lowest number produced, under 10,000. They intended it to be a limited production model and did not manufacture a lot of spare parts for it to back it up. Around that time, we got hit by the auto crunch also.

Over the years, some 20+ years later, the Retrobird has had a number of problems with them, that include the Coil On Plug problem of having oil, or water, get to the plug(s), causing the car to suddenly go from full speed, at say 70mph to half that speed, with you, hoping the guy behind you is not gonna rear end you due to the sudden loss of speed. That has happened to a good number of owners over the years. I was involved in bringing that to the attention of Retrobird owners when one of our local Tbird Club owners had that problem, figured out how to fix it by replacing ALL the Coil on Plug units and their seals. He and I joined Alan Tast of VTCI fame in writing the technical article that was published in the VTCI Scoop magazine some years ago. There have been other problems that have cropped up, some with having AC failure, and other things. The problem is finding replacement parts and the cost of them, due to lack of availability, unlike our 1955-1966 Tbirds.

Now there are repair shops that flat refuse to work on Retrobirds because of the ready availability of parts and not wanting to tie up a bay or lift on a car that is taking them weeks or longer to find parts for. I like the style, but not the age, and the lack of parts, and the problems some are having with them. IF I was to ever buy one, I would NOT by the 2002, but the 2005 50th Anniversary version. That way you get all the upgrades they did the 2002, 3, 4 and 2005. It is good to buy the car that is in the last year of its production life so you can get all the upgrades. That is my 2 cents regarding Retrobirds.

Comment

Yes, I am familiar with their common issues, some oem upgrades after 2002 model year, and the technical service bulletins. I spent years as a technician at a Ford dealership and was fully trained in everything available except hybrids when I left the dealership in 2012. I got a good variety of experience while working there too. I generally can figure things out, or I will put in the effort to learn. When that fails I communicate with others, which you often see me do on the 58-60 forum. All the credit in the world to John and Carl (plus some others) for their assistance to me a large number of times. I am not concerned with the expected setbacks of owning a retrobird. The heart wants what the heart wants. My backup plan is to find a low mile 95' supercoupe one of 3 color combinations. I'm always looking. Side note: few things are more fun to me than rebuilding an automatic transmission while drinking scotch and listening to old music. Many AOD/AODE/4r70w/E4od/350/700r4 transmissions done over the years.
                Jim Kowal

Comment

Jim, that is good that you are familiar with their common issues and your experiences in a Ford dealership. All the training received I am sure you have put to good use. Yes, I agree, the heart wants what the heart wants. I can relate that to wanting a 1959 Squarebird for decades. Thanks for the kudu's to those who have provided you with information and assistance on our Forum. Much appreciated! I had a good chuckle out of your comment regarding rebuilding automatic transmissions! You and Dave Dare ~ simplyconnected have something in common regarding rebuilding trannys! Now you have me wondering what Dave has for libations when he is rebuilding one! I never thought to ask until now! Lol...

Comment

Working...
                  X