66 Galaxie advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 Galaxie advice

Hi all, not really sure where to post this thought this was the most appropriate place. I have the opportunity to buy a restored 66 Galaxie convertible. Unusually its right hand drive having been ordered new in the UK. I know the frames are susceptible to rust but are there any particular areas to look at or check ?
    thanks in advance
    Jon
    Jon
    Deepest Hertfordshire
    Old enough to know I'm right...
    1960 Hardtop T'bird
    1961 Hotchkiss M201

Hi Jon, I would think that one would want to check the driver and passenger side floor pans, and the trunk, just as you would in any Thunderbird of that age. Rocker panels also. Check the whole car over well, by getting it on a rack so you can stand under it and look for all the rust issues. Like also under the radiator at that support beam. Mine was rusted on the passenger side probably do to 60 years of battery fluids getting to it. Or from road water splashing all over it for those 60 years...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thank Ray. As you say, all the usual places.
      Jon
      Deepest Hertfordshire
      1960 Hardtop T'bird
      1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

I reinforced my '59 around the rear axle (leaf spring perches and the arch) and rear bumper area (#4 crossmember and bumper mounting areas). Some portions of the frame channel have an inner reinforcement 'strip' of steel, so look inside. Most of the frame can be seen as the body sits on top of it.

Could you show a picture of your car? - Dave
        My latest project:
        CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Hi Dave
          Well the first one I was going to look at fell through. Typically looked really nice in the photos but when you start to ask the right questions it became less appealing. Things like not replacing the font suspension bushes when you do a bare metal resto...? (and they need doing...) I have another to possibly look at on Sunday, technically its an LTD but it does have a factory 428 in it.
          A Galaxie badge carries a bit of kudos in the uk, an LTD badge less so so I am a bit on the fence with it if I'm honest.

Jon
          Jon
          Deepest Hertfordshire
          1960 Hardtop T'bird
          1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

white convertible that fell through, interesting that Ford fitted a 63 Lincoln dash to RHD cars.
            Blue 428 LTD

s-l1600 (5).jpg

IMG_0776.JPG
            IMG_0769.JPG

s-l1600 (12).jpg
            IMG_0844.JPG
            Attached Files
            Jon
            Deepest Hertfordshire
            1960 Hardtop T'bird
            1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

In New Zealand they fitted ' 59 Edsel dashes to '63 Galaxies (which were right-hand drive for the NZ market) so I guess Ford just used what they had that fitted!
              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Well, the best laid plans etc….went looking for a 66, ended up with a 64 ..

985A8313-E769-4C37-940D-0EF42DF4E997.jpeg

Jon
                Deepest Hertfordshire
                1960 Hardtop T'bird
                1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

Working...
                X