Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YellowRose
    replied
    BTW... As a result of me creating that t-shirt design I now have people who, like me, have survived this in Texas and they want the t-shirt! lol.. I don't want to get into business selling it, so the company that markets these t-shirts has told me how people who want one can order one directly from them. T-shirt, that design, color (or your choice), size, etc.. for $27.01, complete as you see it, including the design cost, and shipping. So if anyone wants one, send me a Private Message or call me, and I can tell you how to order one. They said it will take 14 days from order time, to delivery.

Leave a comment:

• YellowRose
    replied
    I woke up in the middle of the night, grabbed my cell phone off the headboard, checked the outside temp and it was 24. So it got a bit colder than they predicted. I rolled over, went back to sleep, and did not wake up until around 7am, checked the temp and it was 28. I got up, turned up the heat a bit, and climbed back in bed again, and woke up around 09:30, with the temp at 40 degrees. So I climbed out of bed, cleaned up, got dressed, turned the water off from dripping in the kitchen sink and then went out front and turned off the dripping faucet there. We still have some indication that it has snowed here from the second snow storm, but it should be gone today... Soooo, I now have proof that I Survived The Great 2021 Texas Ice Storm in the form of a T-Shirt that I designed online! I doubt if I will order it, but at least I can attach it to my emails now to prove I am a Survivor! Here it is!...

Leave a comment:

• YellowRose
    replied
    At 1am, it is 28 degrees here, and clear, with a low temp of 27 degrees predicted at 3am-4am, then to 28 degrees, at 5am, and moving up to 31 at 8am. By 9am we should be at 37 degrees, and out of the last below freezing temps for the next week or two. By mid afternoon, it should be sunny and 58 degrees here. Power and water are all holding steady... G'Night!

Leave a comment:

• YellowRose
    replied
    As of noon I am back above freezing temps and out of this extreme cold frontal system. I still will have a couple of nights when the temps will drop below freezing, but just by a few degrees. It got down into the low 20's last night but the power stayed on for nearly 48 hours now without any outages. So it appears that the power grid has been stabilized. People are now having problems with broken water lines, mains, shortage of food, water supply, and gas. I was smart enough to gas up right before this happened. Because of frozen road conditions, trucks have not been able to get to the grocery stores, Walmart, etc., to restock them. Apparently, tons of frozen food had to be discarded due to lack of power or power generators to keep store frozen food containers frozen... I will further respond to Dave's comments in email rather then put them all here...

Regarding Dave's comments, I can tell you this. Decades ago, Texas made the decision NOT to join the Nationwide power grid setup that so many States use and share power with each other when needed. They made a decision not to join the National power grid created by Pres. Roosevelt in 1935. Texas wanted no US government control in charge of their power system, so they created the Texas Interconnected System and have been running it ever since. During WW II, Texas created its own power grid because of the large amount of energy required to run the petroleum plants along the Gulf Coast. More recently controlled by ERCOT (Energy Reliability Council Of Texas, created in 1970). This is the non-profit organization that is being blamed for much of the disaster that just struck us and is under investigation as to what went wrong.

Basically, what this all boils down to is that for decades, those in charge of our energy in Texas NEVER thought that we could have such a disastrous extreme cold front hit us as this one did. They have been, as Dave said, relying on our normally higher temps to prevent something like this to happen. This is truly a historic event to hit this deep into South Texas all the way to the Gulf Coast. So things that are routinely done in Northern States, were never done here, and should have been...Yes, my house heating energy is provided by gas and the AC power to run that unit. We had a few examples in past years as to what could happen, but they were forgotten about and nothing has been done to handle and prevent anything like this. This is how I see it.

Leave a comment:

• simplyconnected
    replied
    Ray, maybe I'm ignorant about a lot of things but I have concerns:
    • We get sub-zero temps in Michigan and we have livestock. We put our animals in UNheated barns and they survive without incident. Frozen water is a big issue if livestock can't drink but electricity isn't the only source of heat. As long as you have snow and any source of heat you also have water.
    • Our fire engines carry their own water. They rarely hook up to a hydrant. Many of our towns (and hospitals) have water towers in case of water failure. Our zoo has one too.
    • Our hospitals have their own emergency generators. They have to. They're huge and driven by diesel engines.
    • I wonder why your grid is so fragile! In the north (where it's REALLY cold) we have power, only because our lines get a freeze-workout every year.
    • Michigan has wood. We also get propane and kerosene at just about every busy corner gas station. Texas must have these fuels including natural gas.
    I reckon Texas depends on high temperatures as a lifeline otherwise you're in deep trouble. I can't believe Texans are running their cars in closed garages...
    I gather your place is heated with natural gas. You may want to purchase an inverter large enough to run your furnace motor. Your car battery may not sustain it for long periods of time without starting your engine but you will have heat from your furnace. - Dave

Leave a comment:

• YellowRose
    replied
    I just went outside to check my water faucet in front and found that it is still snowing! I thought it had stopped, but once outside I found it was snowing on me while I checked my faucet drip. I turned it on a bit more to let more water drip out of it so it does not freeze. Temps MIGHT get slightly above freezing around 3pm, but the snow is not expected to stop and then clear out of here until 6pm. However, over night, the next two nights, we will be down to freezing again, around 22 for a low, but tomorrow we should be in the 40's for a high, and on Saturday. After Saturday, we should be ranging between 40-nearly 80 degrees and no over night freezing! I kid you NOT!. So much for South Texas Weather! In the meantime, my power is still on, but they are saying not to expect it to stay on, as they continue to stabilize the power grid. Many people across Texas are without power AND water, because of bursting pipes. Firefighting personnel are having problems finding unfrozen fire hydrants to pump water from, because some of those lines are bursting. There are homes that caught fire due to faulty fire places, or improperly used electric heaters that have caught homes on fire. There are 21 deaths in Texas that I know of so far due to one reason or another. People going into their garage, turning on the car, getting into it to warm up, and failing to open the garage door, or back the car out of the garage so that carbon monoxide does not kill them.. There have been several deaths due to that. Fires, auto accidents, are other causes, along with people with health issues unable to get to a hospital. Hospitals are struggling to maintain operation due to shortages of power and also water.... It ain't over yet, but by the weekend, it should be...

Leave a comment:

• YellowRose
    replied
    Thanks to John ~ jopizz for merging the thread I had in General Discussion with this one I started in Anything Goes. Now everything regarding this is in one place. I got to bed around 2am, and in my bed this time, and off the couch, and I did not get out of bed until after 09:30! I guess I needed the sleep. The power has stayed on for nearly 24 hours now, but overnight there is about an inch of new snow on my yard! As Dano sez, "A light dusting" for them in Canada! Lol... With snow predicted til this afternoon, and then again tonight. It looks like they MAY have the power stabilized, but for all I know, it could go off before I finish typing this! So hold the emails, and if you need assistance, continue to contact John ~ jopizz or Dave. I enjoyed the cartoon, and the pix of the dogs, Dave. So I am hanging in here, and in two more days, we may be clear of all this, but John tells me now they are starting to get what we got, as it moves more into the northeast of the country.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Leavens
    commented on 's reply
    Ray stay safe and above all warm until this storm clears.

• Dan Leavens
    commented on 's reply
    Ray stay safe and above all warm until this storm clears.

• simplyconnected
    replied
    SNOW Ray Clark.jpg

2021FEB17Snowfall-A.jpg
    Yep, been busy. That's Robin's Escape on the right. - Dave

Leave a comment:

• YellowRose
    commented on 's reply
    I am shocked that nearly 12 hours later, the power is still on here at my place. This is far from over though. It is just below freezing now, going on 1am, and is supposed to rain, sleet, and snow over the rest of the night. The temps will not get above freezing here until around 2pm today they say with snow showers til 4pm! Then, another night of below freezing temps, and finally on Saturday afternoon they say we will all be clear of it as it moves East.. So it is entirely possible that I will lose my power again over night or off and on over the next couple of days. But the house is nice and warm now in the mid 70's, so I am gonna try sleeping in my bed tonight instead of on the couch... G'Night, Mates!

• YellowRose
    commented on 's reply
    I am shocked that nearly 12 hours later, the power is still on here at my place. This is far from over though. It is just below freezing now, going on 1am, and is supposed to rain, sleet, and snow over the rest of the night. The temps will not get above freezing here until around 2pm today they say with snow showers til 4pm! Then, another night of below freezing temps, and finally on Saturday afternoon they say we will all be clear of it as it moves East.. So it is entirely possible that I will lose my power again over night or off and on over the next couple of days. But the house is nice and warm now in the mid 70's, so I am gonna try sleeping in my bed tonight instead of on the couch... G'Night, Mates!

• YellowRose
    commented on 's reply
    At 7pm, I still have power, but that could end while I am typing this. What you may not realize is that this record breaking cold spell is not just impacting humans, but also the wild life around us. My good ranch friend in frozen Oklahoma, has told me of calves being born freezing to death on birth there yesterday. Here in San Antonio, we have a wildlife sanctuary that has had monkeys and other animals dying due to lack of any power for heat. The same thing is happening at the zoo, I hear, and probably in zoo's in the DFW, and Houston area. Then to show you how far south this cold front has dipped, turtles by the thousands are washing up on the shores, or being rescued from the waters, shocked as the water temp drops below 50 degrees! Thousands are trying to be warmed inside a central facility in South Padre Island, trying to save them. Here is that report.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/vo...cid=uxbndlbing

Now I will tell you a Texas Tall Tale, which, I happen to know is the truth. Many years ago, during one of our very cold Winters, I had good friends from Australia visit Faye and I. They insisted that they wanted to see the Gulf Coast, but I told them that the weather would be so cold down there that they would not find it very hospitable to walk the coast line while freezing... But they insisted that they would make that trip, even after Faye and I told them that we would not be making it with them. So off they drove to Corpus Christi to walk the beach. When they got back, they were all excited by what they had seen. They started showing us their pictures of thousands of big, dead seagoing fish being washed up onto the sand... The same thing that happened to the turtles had happened to them. The sea temperature had turned so cold that it froze the fish! They said it was worth making that trip just to see something like that happen and record it so they could show it to their friends Down Under!... And that is a True Texas Story...

Just to show you how deep this cold front moved through Texas, here is a map that shows San Antonio, and then South Padre Island, at the very tip of the end of Texas on the Gulf Coast...
    {"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tSouthPadreIslandTexas.jpg Views:\t0 Size:\t115.0 KB ID:\t247418","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"247418","data-size":"full","title":"SouthPadreIslandTexas.jpg"}
    Attached Files

• YellowRose
    commented on 's reply
    At 7pm, I still have power, but that could end while I am typing this. What you may not realize is that this record breaking cold spell is not just impacting humans, but also the wild life around us. My good ranch friend in frozen Oklahoma, has told me of calves being born freezing to death on birth there yesterday. Here in San Antonio, we have a wildlife sanctuary that has had monkeys and other animals dying due to lack of any power for heat. The same thing is happening at the zoo, I hear, and probably in zoo's in the DFW, and Houston area. Then to show you how far south this cold front has dipped, turtles by the thousands are washing up on the shores, or being rescued from the waters, shocked as the water temp drops below 50 degrees! Thousands are trying to be warmed inside a central facility in South Padre Island, trying to save them. Here is that report.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/vo...cid=uxbndlbing

Now I will tell you a Texas Tall Tale, which, I happen to know is the truth. Many years ago, during one of our very cold Winters, I had good friends from Australia visit Faye and I. They insisted that they wanted to see the Gulf Coast, but I told them that the weather would be so cold down there that they would not find it very hospitable to walk the coast line while freezing... But they insisted that they would make that trip, even after Faye and I told them that we would not be making it with them. So off they drove to Corpus Christi to walk the beach. When they got back, they were all excited by what they had seen. They started showing us their pictures of thousands of big, dead seagoing fish being washed up onto the sand... The same thing that happened to the turtles had happened to them. The sea temperature had turned so cold that it froze the fish! They said it was worth making that trip just to see something like that happen and record it so they could show it to their friends Down Under!... And that is a True Texas Story...

Just to show you how deep this cold front moved through Texas, here is a map that shows San Antonio, and then South Padre Island, at the very tip of the end of Texas on the Gulf Coast...
    {"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tSouthPadreIslandTexas.jpg Views:\t0 Size:\t115.0 KB ID:\t247418","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"247418","data-size":"full","title":"SouthPadreIslandTexas.jpg"}
    Attached Files

• YellowRose
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, Chris, I could use the extra 40F! We still have our power and I have been catching up on the weather predictions. Which is calling for more freezing temps into the 20's, rain, sleet and snow for the next two days. Then Friday afternoon, it should move out of here. Late afternoon tomorrow we MAY break freezing by a degree and then go back down below freezing in the late afternoon, and stay there until around 11am on Friday when they think we will break out of it and climb back up into our normal 60-70F range on Sunday... I am hanging in there as best I can. I have food, but now they just issued a possible boil your water order before drinking... My heating unit has the house temp up in the low 70's now, thank goodness. But that will not last long if the power goes out again, and I expect it will. If it is not one thing, it is something else... Luckily, I have water that is safe and should not have a problem with that. A couple of million in Texas are still without heat, and many without water due to water line breaks..
Working...
X