Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YellowRose
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, Chris, I could use the extra 40F! We still have our power and I have been catching up on the weather predictions. Which is calling for more freezing temps into the 20's, rain, sleet and snow for the next two days. Then Friday afternoon, it should move out of here. Late afternoon tomorrow we MAY break freezing by a degree and then go back down below freezing in the late afternoon, and stay there until around 11am on Friday when they think we will break out of it and climb back up into our normal 60-70F range on Sunday... I am hanging in there as best I can. I have food, but now they just issued a possible boil your water order before drinking... My heating unit has the house temp up in the low 70's now, thank goodness. But that will not last long if the power goes out again, and I expect it will. If it is not one thing, it is something else... Luckily, I have water that is safe and should not have a problem with that. A couple of million in Texas are still without heat, and many without water due to water line breaks..

• bird 60
    commented on 's reply
    I feel for you Ray, and for other people in your situation. I wish I could give you at least 40f as we are having 100F here in my State. (Adelaide, South Australia.) I got piddled off yesterday as I turned down a game of Golf as it was too hot.
    I hope things will clear up for you all in the very near future.

Chris......From OZ.

• bird 60
    commented on 's reply
    I feel for you Ray, and for other people in your situation. I wish I could give you at least 40f as we are having 100F here in my State. (Adelaide, South Australia.) I got piddled off yesterday as I turned down a game of Golf as it was too hot.
    I hope things will clear up for you all in the very near future.

Chris......From OZ.

• YellowRose
    commented on 's reply
    I will make this short because I do not know how long my power will be on. It came back at 5am, went off at 8:15. Stayed off until 1:25, came back on again and have no idea how long it will last. It is 40 here, and I have shut off my dripping faucets. I am not a happy camper with all this. But I am staying warm, can use the toilets as needed, staying hydrated, and I have food. I have not taken the car out yet though, and really do not want to get out on the roads yet. They are a mess, with a lot of accidents, due to icy conditions. It does look like we will be out of this huge mess in a day or two. I will send this before I lose power again. We are only getting it in about 3 hour segments before they cut it. If you don't see me logged on, you know my power has gone again...

• YellowRose
    commented on 's reply
    I will make this short because I do not know how long my power will be on. It came back at 5am, went off at 8:15. Stayed off until 1:25, came back on again and have no idea how long it will last. It is 40 here, and I have shut off my dripping faucets. I am not a happy camper with all this. But I am staying warm, can use the toilets as needed, staying hydrated, and I have food. I have not taken the car out yet though, and really do not want to get out on the roads yet. They are a mess, with a lot of accidents, due to icy conditions. It does look like we will be out of this huge mess in a day or two. I will send this before I lose power again. We are only getting it in about 3 hour segments before they cut it. If you don't see me logged on, you know my power has gone again...

• YellowRose
    commented on 's reply
    Power came back up at 5am and here I am. For how long no one knows... I wish I could take ya up on the generator offer! It is a major disaster all over Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and points north! A total example of what Mother Nature can do when she wants to, to a State that only see's this kind of weather in North Texas, Oklahoma and points north! The snowfall we got is about 7 inches at the airport, making this $5 for all time snowfall in San Antonio. #1 is back in 1985 with 13 1/2" on a weekend. It took us days to dig out of that because we do not have snow removal equipment to handle snow like that in balmy South Central Texas.. Here is an update on what I have been going through. Please DO hold the emails to me til we get out of this. I have dozens and dozens I cannot get to because half the time, the power goes down again as I try to catch up.

Below is what happened here yesterday.

Power is back on at 11am. Been on for an hour and a half now. It got down to 50 degrees in the house. Power last went off multiple times last night, last few times, stayed on for 3-4 minutes and right back off again. Last time it was on til this morning was 10:30PM. Right as the power came back on this morning, my plumber showed up and I have been busy with him getting my water back on. He fixed that backyard pipe, put a plug in it, checked out the house to make sure there was nothing leaking inside. It seems to be fixed. He said that my front faucet is frozen because no water came out of it, like it did in the faucets in the house. He said leave that outside front faucet turned full on until the line unfreezes, and water starts coming out of it. (Which it did big time, when the pipe unfroze. I went out and shut it down to just a drip, and wrapped the pipe and the pipe in the backyard with old t-shirts to better protect them.) He also said that while we are still below freezing to leave water dripping inside the house in a faucet, and allow that front outside faucet to drip also. That way there will be water running through the pipes all the time.

I have no idea how long I will have power, as they are using the rolling power usage across my State and some 4 million are without power. I slept wrapped up in a big comforter on the couch all night, again, trying to keep warm and I think I survived. Now, if the power will just stay on. It is about 65 in here now, trying to get up into the 70's. If you do not hear from me later in the day or evening, you will know my power went down again.. The freeways are all iced over, because of the rain and snow and closed.

Since I wrote that, the power came back on at 8pm, stayed on for 3 hours and 20 minutes, allowing me to charge my cell phone, and bring the house temp up to around 66 degrees. Then the power was gone and it was back to living in the dark by the light of my cell phone, or my flashlight. I settled into the couch again to keep warm, and snoozed off and on until 5am when the lights and TV came back on again a bit ago! It is now nearly 6am and the power is still on... So Far. Continue to hold the emails please, as I have received dozens I cannot answer... The temp is now 31 degrees and going above freezing around 9-10am to a high of 45 degrees. Then back below freezing again for a couple of more days at night. After that, we should be back in the normal 60-70 degree range for this time of year! Rolling power outages are all over the State and in other States around me, as we fight an historic cold front for this State and much of this Country...

• YellowRose
    commented on 's reply
    Power came back up at 5am and here I am. For how long no one knows... I wish I could take ya up on the generator offer! It is a major disaster all over Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and points north! A total example of what Mother Nature can do when she wants to, to a State that only see's this kind of weather in North Texas, Oklahoma and points north! The snowfall we got is about 7 inches at the airport, making this $5 for all time snowfall in San Antonio. #1 is back in 1985 with 13 1/2" on a weekend. It took us days to dig out of that because we do not have snow removal equipment to handle snow like that in balmy South Central Texas.. Here is an update on what I have been going through. Please DO hold the emails to me til we get out of this. I have dozens and dozens I cannot get to because half the time, the power goes down again as I try to catch up.

Below is what happened here yesterday.

Power is back on at 11am. Been on for an hour and a half now. It got down to 50 degrees in the house. Power last went off multiple times last night, last few times, stayed on for 3-4 minutes and right back off again. Last time it was on til this morning was 10:30PM. Right as the power came back on this morning, my plumber showed up and I have been busy with him getting my water back on. He fixed that backyard pipe, put a plug in it, checked out the house to make sure there was nothing leaking inside. It seems to be fixed. He said that my front faucet is frozen because no water came out of it, like it did in the faucets in the house. He said leave that outside front faucet turned full on until the line unfreezes, and water starts coming out of it. (Which it did big time, when the pipe unfroze. I went out and shut it down to just a drip, and wrapped the pipe and the pipe in the backyard with old t-shirts to better protect them.) He also said that while we are still below freezing to leave water dripping inside the house in a faucet, and allow that front outside faucet to drip also. That way there will be water running through the pipes all the time.

I have no idea how long I will have power, as they are using the rolling power usage across my State and some 4 million are without power. I slept wrapped up in a big comforter on the couch all night, again, trying to keep warm and I think I survived. Now, if the power will just stay on. It is about 65 in here now, trying to get up into the 70's. If you do not hear from me later in the day or evening, you will know my power went down again.. The freeways are all iced over, because of the rain and snow and closed.

Since I wrote that, the power came back on at 8pm, stayed on for 3 hours and 20 minutes, allowing me to charge my cell phone, and bring the house temp up to around 66 degrees. Then the power was gone and it was back to living in the dark by the light of my cell phone, or my flashlight. I settled into the couch again to keep warm, and snoozed off and on until 5am when the lights and TV came back on again a bit ago! It is now nearly 6am and the power is still on... So Far. Continue to hold the emails please, as I have received dozens I cannot answer... The temp is now 31 degrees and going above freezing around 9-10am to a high of 45 degrees. Then back below freezing again for a couple of more days at night. After that, we should be back in the normal 60-70 degree range for this time of year! Rolling power outages are all over the State and in other States around me, as we fight an historic cold front for this State and much of this Country...

• simplyconnected
    commented on 's reply
    If Ray wasn't so far away, I'd loan him one of my portable generators. At least he would have heat, the fridge would run and he could charge his cell phone, flashlights, etc. Stay warm, Ray.

• simplyconnected
    commented on 's reply
    If Ray wasn't so far away, I'd loan him one of my portable generators. At least he would have heat, the fridge would run and he could charge his cell phone, flashlights, etc. Stay warm, Ray.

• simplyconnected
    replied
    Our German Shorthaired Pointer dogs can only hop in the back yard because snow is so deep. These are field dogs, bred to flush birds in tall grass. I like to remind myself about what summertime is like with these pictures... DSCN2396.JPG 2017-3-20a_Gracie.jpg
    Gracie doesn't want to come inside, she just wants to know what I'm doing...

In a couple hours Detroit will see -4F (-20C). Salt simply doesn't work below 10F. At these temperatures the air has nearly zero moisture so it is unlikely to snow. It's times like this when Robin really appreciates her 'remote start'. - Dave

Leave a comment:

• jopizz
    replied
    Until further notice please do not try and email Ray Clark. His power has been going up and down due to the weather situation in Texas and is currently down. If you need immediate assistance regarding the forum please contact me. Thank You.

John Pizzi
    jopizz@squarebirds.org
    (856)779-9695

Leave a comment:

• OX1
    replied
    Crazy down there. Time to get snow tires for the stang?? LOL!!
    Heard the windmill power generators froze up a lot.

Leave a comment:

• simplyconnected
    replied
    It was 17F (-8.3C) but I got it done, mine and my nextdoor neighbor's. My hands are cold but thank God my shovel has a wooden handle. Most of them are aluminum. It's nearly 3am and all's quiet out there. I say we've seen the last for awhile but Robin disagrees. We'll see. Anything goes in Michigan.

Leave a comment:

• simplyconnected
    replied
    Wait, WHAT??? Ice age? Nooooo, we were told that 'global warming' is a problem and that's why we re-entered the Paris Climate Accord. Which is it?

I'm in Detroit (born in Chicago) and we see LOTS of snow. Well, not as much as Dan sees in Alberta Canada. He gets 'SERIOUS SNOW' which is why their moose have such long legs but here is how it goes in Detroit: The first time it gets to 0F (-17.7C) kids stay home from school. If zero persists they go back, because now we're used to it. Our city has snow removal/salt spreader equipment (The Great Lakes have salt mines under them). Whenever 4" of snow is forecast or if it falls, all the cars must be off the streets, or you get a ticket AND your car gets plowed-in. Both are bad. Cities like Washington DC have NO snow equipment so they simply shut down.

Our power lines are well used to ice so they rarely come down. That doesn't stop some idiot from taking a utility pole down with his out-of-control car. I have a 5,000-watt portable generator. It features electric start because that 11- HP rope is a lot harder to pull now that I'm a senior. If power is out too long our pipes freeze. That's REAL bad once the ice thaws. Some years, for maybe as long as a decade, I never need to start my generator. Other years I have used it a few times OR my immediate family or neighbors have used it. It's CHEAP insurance at the cost of storing and maintaining it, which I don't mind at all.

New drivers have an excuse but it seems ALL Michigan drivers forget how to control their car when the first snow/ice cover the roads. I have re-educated my family by taking them to a large parking lot (like a bowling alley) so they could slide out of control, know how to get out of it and what to expect. Our law says we MUST have control of our car at all times. Sometimes 2-mph is too fast so speed is no excuse. It's all about braking skills and defensive driving.

I'm going outside again to shovel some more. 10" is forecast and I don't want to shovel it all at once. Robin constantly tells me 'You're not allowed to shovel at your age."
    • The snow needs to be removed from my walk and driveway.
    • I'm not getting any younger.
    • Nobody else volunteered to do it, so I'm on my own.
    • I NEED EXERCISE. <--This should be the number one reason.

If I absolutely can not shovel, I do have a snowblower in the garage with electric start. Looks like my Boy Scout (yep, I was a 'scout) training kicked in because I believe in being prepared. BTW, my dogs LOVE snow but they don't understand snow this deep because we don't get huge snowstorms very often. It's usually spread out over many weeks. We get our snow from Dan Leavens then we trickle it down to Ray Clark in Texas. Most of the time the warm-hearted Southerners melt all the snow before it gets near San Antonio, Texas. HEY RAY, freezing temperatures will pare the Diamondback Rattle Snake herd, so that's a good thing. It's also why we don't have poisonous critters in Michigan. For that, I'm more than happy to tollerate a little cold and I enjoy the change of all four seasons. - Dave

Leave a comment:

• bird 60
    replied
    I feel for you and everyone else there Ray. Especially when the power gets turned off. Quite the opposite here in Adelaide S.A. Yesterday was 86F, today 92, followed by 95, 97, 94, then 77F for the next 3 days. The last thing we need is another ice age, but then again.

Chris.....From OZ.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X