No announcement yet.

It Is SNOWING In San Antonio!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As of noon I am back above freezing temps and out of this extreme cold frontal system. I still will have a couple of nights when the temps will drop below freezing, but just by a few degrees. It got down into the low 20's last night but the power stayed on for nearly 48 hours now without any outages. So it appears that the power grid has been stabilized. People are now having problems with broken water lines, mains, shortage of food, water supply, and gas. I was smart enough to gas up right before this happened. Because of frozen road conditions, trucks have not been able to get to the grocery stores, Walmart, etc., to restock them. Apparently, tons of frozen food had to be discarded due to lack of power or power generators to keep store frozen food containers frozen... I will further respond to Dave's comments in email rather then put them all here...

Regarding Dave's comments, I can tell you this. Decades ago, Texas made the decision NOT to join the Nationwide power grid setup that so many States use and share power with each other when needed. They made a decision not to join the National power grid created by Pres. Roosevelt in 1935. Texas wanted no US government control in charge of their power system, so they created the Texas Interconnected System and have been running it ever since. During WW II, Texas created its own power grid because of the large amount of energy required to run the petroleum plants along the Gulf Coast. More recently controlled by ERCOT (Energy Reliability Council Of Texas, created in 1970). This is the non-profit organization that is being blamed for much of the disaster that just struck us and is under investigation as to what went wrong.

Basically, what this all boils down to is that for decades, those in charge of our energy in Texas NEVER thought that we could have such a disastrous extreme cold front hit us as this one did. They have been, as Dave said, relying on our normally higher temps to prevent something like this to happen. This is truly a historic event to hit this deep into South Texas all the way to the Gulf Coast. So things that are routinely done in Northern States, were never done here, and should have been...Yes, my house heating energy is provided by gas and the AC power to run that unit. We had a few examples in past years as to what could happen, but they were forgotten about and nothing has been done to handle and prevent anything like this. This is how I see it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

At 1am, it is 28 degrees here, and clear, with a low temp of 27 degrees predicted at 3am-4am, then to 28 degrees, at 5am, and moving up to 31 at 8am. By 9am we should be at 37 degrees, and out of the last below freezing temps for the next week or two. By mid afternoon, it should be sunny and 58 degrees here. Power and water are all holding steady... G'Night!

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

I woke up in the middle of the night, grabbed my cell phone off the headboard, checked the outside temp and it was 24. So it got a bit colder than they predicted. I rolled over, went back to sleep, and did not wake up until around 7am, checked the temp and it was 28. I got up, turned up the heat a bit, and climbed back in bed again, and woke up around 09:30, with the temp at 40 degrees. So I climbed out of bed, cleaned up, got dressed, turned the water off from dripping in the kitchen sink and then went out front and turned off the dripping faucet there. We still have some indication that it has snowed here from the second snow storm, but it should be gone today... Soooo, I now have proof that I Survived The Great 2021 Texas Ice Storm in the form of a T-Shirt that I designed online! I doubt if I will order it, but at least I can attach it to my emails now to prove I am a Survivor! Here it is!...

Comment

BTW... As a result of me creating that t-shirt design I now have people who, like me, have survived this in Texas and they want the t-shirt! lol.. I don't want to get into business selling it, so the company that markets these t-shirts has told me how people who want one can order one directly from them. T-shirt, that design, color (or your choice), size, etc.. for $27.01, complete as you see it, including the design cost, and shipping. So if anyone wants one, send me a Private Message or call me, and I can tell you how to order one. They said it will take 14 days from order time, to delivery.

Comment

Working...
          X