Announcement

Collapse

Price is right

Squarebirds.org has not raised our 'paid membership' fee in over 15 years. It remains at US$20 and it will NOT raise in 2022 or 2023 (pandemic, inflation, or not). - Dave
See more
See less

Period correct aftermarket guages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period correct aftermarket guages

Stumbled on these cleaning out my parents basement. I think my dad had them in his 65 wagon.
    Not sure I ever will, but thought if I do, these were @ least close to period correct guages.
    Haven't found the senders yet, but will keep looking.

20210129_214941.jpg
    59-430-HT

Yes, Sun tachometers and Stewart-Warner gauges were top of the line. They were also back-lit and very accurate. The temperature gauge uses a capalary tube that was inserted in the block. (Don't cut it.) The oil pressure gauge used a tube, connected to the oil filter plug instead of a 'sending unit', and it ran through the firewall to the gauge. Today, the 'AMPERE' gauge is all but useless because modern alternators output over 100 amps. They should be replaced with a 'VOLTS' gauge to show battery health.

I also have a S-W gauge setup identical to yours. The chrome is nasty (just like yours) so I will have it rechromed. I also have my old Sun Tach. All those are nice but they all detract from the stock look of a dashboard. - Dave
    My latest project:
    CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

These appear to be electric guages. No mechanical connection on the back of any of them. Just 3 or 4 electrical connections on each (in addition to light sockets). That's why I thought they were kind of unique, how many had electrical aftermarket oil and temp guages back then?
      59-430-HT

Comment

If your oil gauge is electric, then it will need a 12-volt sending unit. I would like to see a picture of the back. - Dave
        My latest project:
        CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Originally posted by simplyconnected View Post
          If your oil gauge is electric, then it will need a 12-volt sending unit. I would like to see a picture of the back. - Dave
          Yes, both the temp and oil pressure guages will need senders. I looked around in the box I found the guages, and there was no senders in there. But I still have an entire garage/basement of "junk" to fish through. Doing it little by little over the next year. There's even a 60 bird in the garage, covered over with "treasures", been there since early 1980's.

IMG_1663.jpg
          59-430-HT

Comment

Here is the back........

20210131_061027.jpg
            Attached Files
            59-430-HT

Comment

Working...
            X