X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drclarkra
    Apprentice
    • Aug 4 2006

Barrett Jackson

I was in Scotsdale last week for the BJ auction. That is really something to experience. guess what? no Squarebirds! What's up? I went with my friend who has the last C1 (straight axel) corvette to come off the line. We were marketing it and got mentioned on stage when they sold the last Sting Ray or C2. It was a great time. Lots of 'vettes though. Lots of Babybirds E-Birds got big mention.
    Birdman
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Barret Jackson

I watched Barret Jackson all last week to see if any of the squarebirds would be auctioned. This just solidifies the need to restore these cars and get them out on the auction block,
    for all to see and create more interest in our cars.
    The baby birds have always been showcased BUT it's time we had the squarebirds front & center.

Did that 66 cobra " super snake" look as good as it did on TV?
    I can't imagine driving a car with 800 HP but would like to.

Dano Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• SandyBoy
      Super-Experienced
      • Oct 31 2002

I too watched alot of it. I got sick at the prices. They are taking the hobby out of the well-to-do people's ability to own and placing it all in the super wealthy catagory. I get a kick outta the 20-something guys bidding on cars going for 1/2 a mil. My house isn't worth a half a mil. for gosh sakes!

Comment

• tarps3
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 21 2003

You know, it doesn't really bother me that squarebirds aren't featured more in stuff like Barrett-Jackson.

I like my bird because it is unique. If I wanted to be like everyone else, I would have bought a Mustang, Camaro, or Corvette. I don't care if anyone else values squarebirds or not. I'm not concerned with others' opinions.

The lack of squarebirds at that auction just tells me I made a good choice.

I didn't buy the Bird because of resale value either. I simply like the car....which is really the only true reason to buy one and spend as much time on it as we all do.

I saw that Cobra go for 5 million also. Truth be told, if I were at a car show and that was in it, I'd probably pause for about 2 minutes to look at it on my way to see a more unique car like an old Desoto or a Turnpike Cruiser or something. I value uniqueness i guess. If you've seen one Cobra, you've seen them all - just my opinion.

I'll leave those sorts of cars to the ego-maniacs that care more about that sort of thing than I do.
        Casey

Comment

• JohnG
          John
          • Jul 28 2003

Barrett Jackson

the Cobra went for big bucks as it was Carroll Shelby's personal one that he built for himself during the 60s. He has a children's foundation and put the money towards that.

There were a number of TBirds from 61-66 or so but despite remarkable condition, they sold for very short money. I did not see any Squarebirds either.

None of this changes the fact the Squarebird is a beautifully designed and noteworthy car!

John
          58 hardtop
          1958 Hardtop
          #8452 TBird Registry
          http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
          history:
          http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Remember 1 thing my friends, you and i don't know the price of the buy backs. it has been well known the the averages are not really accurate on these sales. Hey you build and restore a car of 60K and the bidding is stuck at 22K...you are NOT going to let it go.. you buy it back in...Add that to the average sales of the day and you don't get really accurate pricing. BUT...wow what a car show
            mark

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

Barrett Jackson

I agree with all your opinions and it is soon becoming a place that less than 1% of all people can participate and afford.
              The thing that kills me is whatever the auction price is say $85K then they automatically add 10% ( buyer & seller fee ) + in Arizona the state tax is 8.5% on top of all of it. WOW

The 66 cobra was insane and as John says, was Carroll's personal car and he donated to charity. For those of you who remember, Bill Cosby also had one made for him and I wonder if that's the other car that got totalled in the fatality
              I want to go down one day and see the morning auctions. Did you see the white 64 T-bird go for $17K.

Dano Calgary, Alberta,Canada
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

64 tbird

Yes i did and it looked like money well spent. Except no AIR.............................Bill

Comment

• Alexander
                  Webmaster
                  • Oct 30 2002

Is the Shelby Cobra that was auctioned an automatic? I read a long time ago that only two Shelby Cobras were made with automatic transmissions, one was for Bill Cosby.
                  Alexander
                  1959 Hard Top
                  1960 Golde Top
                  sigpic

Comment

• drclarkra
                    Apprentice
                    • Aug 4 2006

Cobra for Carroll

I didn't know that they ever made any automatic cobras. I am pretty sure this was not an automatic. This one for Carroll Shelby and the one that Bill cosby had were 427 twin turbo units. bill's friend wrecked his , so this was the last one . Carroll Shelby was there , but he is getting real old. At a certain time in life he will probably need to stay home so we remember him how he was. He almost fell off the stool posing by the car. I got a picture with him and the car.
                    Birdman

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

Cobra

I would agree that he should retire but they are trying to mend the Shelby / Ford fued that went on for years. Was it just me or was it getting a little phony with Steve Davis yapping all the time to increase the hype and $$$$$$$$$
                      I also couldn't believe they stooped so low, to sell pianos & guitars from the Beatles. This is Barrett Jackson???

Dano Calgary,Alberta,Canada
                      Thunderbird Registry
                      58HT #33317
                      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Barrett Jackson

I go to Barrett Jackson every year. Steve Davis now Pres of BJ sold me my first 57 years ago. No square birds this year. I know one restorer in CA who is getting one ready for next year. He had a black 60 conv in 2006 that was a #1 car. Prices have climbed out of site, but the auction is being taken over by muscle cars and mid year corvettes

Comment

• JohnG
                          John
                          • Jul 28 2003

Bill Cosby's Cobra

Bill Cosby was on Jay Leno Monday night (1/29). Jay asked him about the Cobra.

Cos went on to say that in the '60s, while he was on I Spy, Carroll came to like him and built him a monster Cobra for a gift. It had the twin turbos and he specifically said it had an automatic transmission. He drove it once and scared the **** out of himself. He sent it back to Shelby. He mentioned the songwriter Jim Webb buying it, although I don't believe Webb is the one who drove it off a cliff.
                          1958 Hardtop
                          #8452 TBird Registry
                          http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                          history:
                          http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎