X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

Ball valve on toilet

I learned something new about plumbing this past week.

The toilet in my master bathroom was occasionally "running", or filling for a brief few seconds. Not very often, but indicating that something needed attention.

The water level was fine so it had to be a leaking ball, or "flapper", valve. This particular toilet, a Koeler, has a parts diagram on the inside of the tank cover, so I snapped a picture of it with my phone and entered it into my Lowes shopping list.

Lowes has about 5 different ones in stock and of course none for Koehler but I picked up a universal one anyway and installed it. The old one had a foam blob on the chain just above the valve and I didn't think anything of it. I tested the action, and everything seemed satisfactory so I tossed the old assembly in the trash.

A week later my wife complained that the toilet wasn't flushing properly. I demonstrated to her how to do it, press and hold the handle for about two seconds. 'Why should I have to wait for two seconds, I never had to before?' I explained to her that the new valve was a different design, but she would have none of it. Then she went on-and-on about how two seconds per flush adds up over a life time.

(My wife has many virtues, but patience is not one of them. She will freely admit this.)

So I ordered, then installed, a Koehler replacement, with the foam blob on the chain. The blob creates just a little bit of buoyancy on the ball, so it opens quickly. Since this is a "low flush" model, I had to move the blob farther down the chain to increase its buoyancy.

No more two-second delay. Happy wife.
  • Buckaroo
    Experienced
    • Jul 24 2013

Happy wife, happy life!
    Dena & Dennis Gorder
    1958 Coupe
    Registry # 3422

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

My neighbor's was running on occasion. I pulled the lid off and could see the stainless chain was too long and it was being sucked in the hole, then the flapper settled on top of the chain as the water level went down.

I believe your 'bobber' keeps the chain from being sucked into the hole, under the flapper.

Twisting the chain shortens but also keeps it more in line.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

The Koehler chain is a ball and pin type so can't be twisted. The generic vlave used a cheaper link type, and recommended 1/2" slack. More and the flush lever hits the tank cover. The extra is too high to contact the valve.

I used 1/2" slack on the Koehler.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Steve, I've seen some that resemble a cheap Ty-rap (all plastic).
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dan Leavens
            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

I agree with Dennis.Happy wife / Happy life
            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Thunderbird Registry
            58HT #33317
            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

Had similar symptoms with mine recently.

Seemed to be the fill valve so replaced it.

A few hours later - same thing - would run a few seconds then stop.What the heck

Checked the water pressure and it was 125 psi Pressure regulating valve for the house had failed.

Eric

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎