X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lainey
    Apprentice
    • Feb 23 2005

RE: General Motors sinking

I'm no fan of the germans, we fought them, we saved the French from them. Remember Libya. the French wouldn't let our jets fly over, making the pilot risk greater. France was a major weapon's supplier to Iraq. Remember the French invented perfume to save bathwater. BIRDMAN

Comment

• 1960Bird
      Experienced
      • Dec 4 2002

Sandy,

I think you are right on and I think it is to late to do anything about it. I am 57 years old and I have never seen things as Fu#*ed up as they are now.

Steve

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear

390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

Plastic fenders????? JEEEZ !

Comment

• tarps3
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 21 2003

boy, I poked a stick into a hornet's nest I guess...
          All I was saying is that the quality of the vehicles I have bought recently as well as the "look" of them is really crummy. I was agreeing with the previous posts. Heck, I've always bought Fords as my father and grandfather did. They'd run me out of the family otherwise.

I'm proud to say that I'm not very politically astute. I took a semester of political science in college and decided right there that I had no further use for politics! I think it's an exercise in ego and futility in the grand scope of things. It bores me.

The previous posts were talking about the lack of design and quality in "new" vehicles. I was simply agreeing.

Heck, if it were up to me, we (America) would move toward self-sufficiency. What in the world is out there that we can't produce within our own borders anyway? Other than some really bad foreign films.

The attitude of "I don't care about the quality as long as it's cheap" and "they sure don't make them like that anymore" applies to almost every aspect of our lives. I battle that each day in my business.

Sorry if I offended anyone by talking about the BMW. I wouldn't own one personally, but I had to admit it was a very nicely built car.
          that's all...

I'll keep my postings centered on leaky radiator tanks and oil pick up screens from now on.

Casey
          60 hardtop
          Casey

Comment

• SandyBoy
            Super-Experienced
            • Oct 31 2002

Hey, Casey.... I have no problem with what you posted, and you & I are very lucky that we live in America, where we can share one & other's opinions. While I may not always agree, I would fight to keep your right to express whatever you want!

What triggered my tirade was that I have a "Show" drop-dead georgous Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special, so...I spend alot of time on the Caddy Forum and I had left there, as most of the members are still cutting teeth ( x( ) and are talking trash 'bout killing off "PU-ick" (Buick) and Pontiac & Mercury, because "Nobody worth nuttin' bys dose anymo anyho, and alls peoples really needs is Cheviee trucks and Cat-laks, and Lincolns and Ford trucks, e'body buys honDUHS, toyos and nissans anyhow, and dats how we can save GM & Ford.
            _____
            Yes, we can save them - of course - by eliminating them ... honDUH.

So, from there I read what you wrote & I BuRsT!
            ______

Anyhow, Maybe I am lucky, but I've bought 2 new cars since 2001 and both are flawless. Sadly, my 2003 Town Car was wrecked on 2/3/'05 - while parked and I am awaiting it's return, to see what is what....

Go Casey !

Comment

• tarps3
              Super-Experienced
              • Jul 21 2003

I'm with ya Sandy.

I personally am an old-car junkie.
              The new styles and designs just don't do it for me....
              It's not even nostalgia or anything like that - I just really appreciate the sculptural qualities and how they carried through the little details in the older cars.

Why, if they'd let me design some cars... well, let's just say that they'd be noticed! ha!

I have an Explorer that I bought new in '96. Seemed like a good idea at the time as gas was around 89 cents a gallon!! Anyway, the vehicle is generally reliable, but it just has a ton of little things that bug me. Mainly due to plastic vs. metal and less-than-perfect paint.

I wouldn't buy an import instead of it, but I do wish they would have spent a little more effort in the fit and finish of my vehicle.
              The price was more than I would expect for the materials they used so I was a little peeved about that too.

When I was griping about the lack of quality and high prices earlier, I was relating it more to "corporate decisions" rather than the product turned out by the American worker. The big auto makers have lost sight of giving the public what they deserve. Only when you get into really nice vehicles (like your Caddy) do you get to see the quality that used to be so evident in every-day cars. The cost of these new cars has far out-paced the rise of income of the average Joe.

I always say that we (America) are the biggest dog in the yard and thus should set the rules for the rest of the planet. Not real politically correct, but it's the way nature works!
              My Boxer never asks the little dog in the house if it's okay to eat his chew bone - he just does it! ha!

I appreciate your responses Sandy and thank you for posting on this board. Now, if I could get these vacuum hoses figured out....

Casey
              '60 hardtop
              Casey

Comment

• SandyBoy
                Super-Experienced
                • Oct 31 2002

The world has changed, since the 90's, actually since the 80's. The cars have to be made with an eye to the live-by or die-by fuel mileage numbers, therefore, aluminum has replaced metal, plastic has replaced aluminum. Yes, everything is made cheaper & to a price point. Yes, my Caddy has leather covered door armrests, thick juicy carpet, lots of sound insulation and ultra comfortable 14-way power seats ~ but 'ya know what else? All 1993 Cadillacs have PLASTIC front fenders, that are known to crack (stress cracks) in time. What else? The trunk lid is aluminum! So, they are not exactly the Caddies of the 70's either! (BTW, she's 100% flawless with 9,892 original miles. I am the original owner).

The Boxer needs to consult all the dogs in the neighborhood, form a committee to discuss, take a vote, and then see if he has the right to eat his chew-bone. But first he needs to offer it to dogs of poorer familes to see if he should request that a perdertimined portion of the chew-bone needs to be cut off & donated to the less fortunate dogs than he is. Finally, he should be required to have you, his owner, file papers with the Feds to see if YOU need to pay a certain amount of your $$$$ annually into a fund, for poor Boxers with NO chew bone, and.....where was THAT bone made? USA?? Ah HA, perhaps we need to open up the chew-bone market to the imports!!
                THIS IS THE TODAY WORLD ! (I konw, it stinks)

Comment

• ayrwoof
                  Experienced
                  • Apr 4 2005

If they only realize ,one day the money the average american has.will
                  be zilch . At that point cars dont matter people do. their jobs and livly hood. Where are these people that put the united states out of work? me and you sorta! at walmart. At panasonic , at appliance
                  park in louisville at radio corperation of America in columbus
                  (thier all ashamed of full names )these days. import duty fees are long overdue. cept in the oil dept. we'd been paying that horsepower
                  tax. maybe its a desposable income tax or a patch like walmart? i dont know yet. the Pt cruiser at 28000$ new 14k is plenty . i want my fellow american to work for a living . come on bill ford show me.
                  seaman david e hodges

Comment

• ayrwoof
                    Experienced
                    • Apr 4 2005

with out german scientist (we stole) things would be different
                    the germans are brilliant and good had working souls.
                    (over there) dave///

Comment

• ayrwoof
                      Experienced
                      • Apr 4 2005

sandy , maybe we need a war between the states > state of fairness
                      in few years , not too long a few of us will try to retire
                      in mexico. let them give us a hard time , with taxes
                      and quick service fees maybe a threating situation
                      slam the doors hard , and get u.s.a. 1... dave///

Comment

• ayrwoof
                        Experienced
                        • Apr 4 2005

mishubiechi makes a fine car (over there) ,how ever the am-6 zero was better built /// dave

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎