Right side-Left side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right side-Left side

When referring to a Cars eg, Right Fender or Left Fender, is it when you're in the Car or from the front of the Car. I always state Drivers side, or Passenger side so as there is no confusion. I have been in that predicament. I wonder if anyone else has. This has nothing to do with Converted Cars.

Chris.....From OZ.

I always refer to left or right as if sitting in the car.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Originally posted by jopizz View Post
      I always refer to left or right as if sitting in the car.

John
      Likewise here!
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Ditto here, where the driver sits!
        sigpicBill
        Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

Right side-Left side

We also have to remember that for some in this world, the drivers side is NOT the left hand side of the car while sitting in the car. If you live in a country where you are required to have the steering wheel on the RIGHT side of the car, then the drivers side is the RIGHT side and not the left side... Or as some in England and other places might say, the steering wheel is on the CORRECT side!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Chris I am with you. Drivers side and Passenger side will always prevail
            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Thunderbird Registry
            58HT #33317
            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Hmmm. The right side of the car is still the right side of the car if the steering wheel is on the right or left side of the car...as long as we are facing forward when we are sitting in the car.
              1960 HT
              Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

Originally posted by YellowRose View Post
                We also have to remember that for some in this world, the drivers side is NOT the left hand side of the car while sitting in the car. If you live in a country where you are required to have the steering wheel on the RIGHT side of the car, then the drivers side is the RIGHT side and not the left side... Or as some in England and other places might say, the steering wheel is on the CORRECT side!
                Originally posted by Restifier52 View Post
                Hmmm. The right side of the car is still the right side of the car if the steering wheel is on the right or left side of the car...as long as we are facing forward when we are sitting in the car.
                Restifier is absolutely right. There is NO confusion. Everything on all cars is with relation to the driver. As long as he faces forward, the RH side will always be the right hand side.

With good reason, we refer to a car as having RH or LH steering. Again, it is with relation to a forward-facing driver.

Which way does your crankshaft rotate? The correct answer would be clockwise because again, it is in relation to the driver and he would be looking at the BACK of the engine, not the front.

This scheme is corporate-wide, regardless of brand. - Dave
                My latest project:
                CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Hi Guys & thank you for your answers. My original question was, do we relate to parts of the car from eg., fenders, doors, wheels, from inside the car or standing in the front of the car. I was wondering about your terminology used in the States where all your cars are LHD.
                  Looks like it's from the inside of the Car.
                  Here in Australia I believe the term used more is Driver or Passenger side with our RHD.

Thanks to all

Chris.....FROM OZ.

Comment

Chris, this is an industry-wide standard. All car components are with respect to the driver.

To say, "Passenger Side" is wrong because some cars are RH or LH drive, depending on what country they live in. Your '55 Fords and our '55 Fords fall in this category.

I don't know who started deviating from RH/LH, because 'curb side' doesn't work, either. It's really not confusing if you know the rules. Some parts are stamped, LH or RH because each side may be a mirror image. Look at your plastic parking or tail light light lenses. They will have raised plastic lettering showing the SAE number, the year and which side they fit.

- Dave
                    My latest project:
                    CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                    X