Announcement

Collapse

Price is right

Squarebirds.org has not raised our 'paid membership' fee in over 15 years. It remains at US$20 and it will NOT raise in 2022 or 2023 (pandemic, inflation, or not). - Dave
See more
See less

Lone Star Roundup Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lone Star Roundup Adventure

I've been going at it like a madman for the last while trying to get my 60 Thunderbird ready to go to the Lonestar Roundup.

The muffler shop had it for a bit longer than I would have liked so I only got it back the day before setting off to Austin.

It was rushed and that point was proven when just before Italy, Texas it began losing power. I pulled into a gas station and my fellow car people informed me I was leaving major smoke behind me.

For one, the rear main seal went out (which was obvious). Luckily it still had a safe oil level.

I had an additional inline fuel filter which also seemed to be restricting fuel flow.

My new radiator has a cap, so along with the original expansion tank still being in place that appears to have had an impact on coolant flow.

Ah well, my friends had it trailered home for me and now I can diagnose the issues without being under so much pressure.

I *did* enjoy driving it while it lasted!

Sorry for this news. But safety 1st!!

There is always next year & I hear that is a great south Texas show to attent too....

-Jon up in Wichita Falls, TX.
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Lone Star Round Up

Yep, I too had issues as I was scammed online for a radiator for my 59 convertible. Due to that I didn't get to take my car either. I did see a few squarebirds down there, one in particular was interesting, it was a red '59 with portholes.

Overall a good show but I've been going to them since the start, this one had a different feel than the others. I didn't see the 'pure' rods there from years past but it was fun.

Happy Birding.

Comment

I guess this applies to all builds: Even the factory tests all the components before releasing the car.

For a vintage car, restoration is much more fragile (like we are when we get up in years). Go slow, and don't commit until you test the car. Start with short trips, so you don't get stuck with a huge towing bill. If everything is good, slowly extend your range.

Failure usually happens right away. After a lot of short and mid range trips, you will know your car's capability. Some classics can cruise cross-country. Others can't take trips of any length. They're all different because of a zillion different factors. For instance, rust in your fuel tank is more likely to clog the pickup after longer and higher speed trips because fuel demand is much greater than bopping around town. So, carry a gas can and some extra parts inside your car for awhile. - Dave
        My latest project:
        CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

I had half a day to test drive the car and performed the usual up and down the driveway, then up and down the street, then around the block, then around town routine.

It ran pretty well, but it was an hour and a half into the journey when problems began developing.

I'm hoping to pull the engine today to change the rear main seal and while I have it out I'll do the stuff I *should* have done like replacing the freeze plugs, etc.

I'm pretty much a one man band here, so this should be "fun".

Comment

Originally posted by Irishman View Post
            ...It ran pretty well, but it was an hour and a half into the journey when problems began developing...
            I consider that pretty much 'right away'. With normal use, these cars can go years without even the slightest problems.
            My latest project:
            CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Fender Skirts

I did see a pair of fender skirts at the swap meet area for 20 bucks, I could kick myself for not buying them..

Comment

Originally posted by T-Bird Lover View Post
                I did see a pair of fender skirts at the swap meet area for 20 bucks, I could kick myself for not buying them..
                WOW!! That's INSANE!!
                sigpic
                The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Fender Skirts 20 bucks-Lone Star Round Up

ya, I could not be certain they were square bird skirts but son of a gun I got home and looked at mine and sure enough they were. Dang!

Comment

Well, we started inspection of the engine today.

Upon removal of the freeze plugs there was much junk that needed to be cleaned out of the block...so I also flushed out my new radiator. That should help some of the issues.

We are also replacing the main and rod bearings which were responsible for the knocking when the engine was hot.

That pesky rear main seal is also getting replaced with the addition of some well placed sealant.

The stock expansion tank is also saying bye bye, so I may have it up for sale in the near future.

Hopefully we'll have the car running again by tomorrow evening and back in the garage before these storms roll in Sunday.

Once that is done I've been ordered to get back on building my girlfriend's Volksrod. So the Thunderbird may be running around with the black primer look for a while.

So don't judge me too harshly should you ever see me...it *is* a work in progress.

Comment

We Made It, Sort Of

My daughter recently bought a 1960 and has been working to get it in shape. She entered the Texas Roundup and a few days prior to the event we heard the front wheel bearings (on the short list to replace, just hadn't gotten to it!). We replaced them on Thursday before the event, with some issues (need a new front right hub, had to shim the outer bearing with an aluminum shim, labeled "Tecate." Well, she made the Friday registration and fun, but called me that night to say the power steering went out a few blocks short of her house. Too tired to fool with it, we made the Saturday show as spectators. But... next year...! Her car is shown at the Friday festivities on the following site:

http://royboyproductions.smugmug.com...up/i-SscZJ76/A

Comment

Hi Steve, so it is your daughter who owns that pretty '60 Squarebird! She is good looking! Sorry to hear the problems she had with it, but that happens with these old gals of ours at times. If you did not see the Welcome I posted to you, check out the New Members Welcoming Forum.. She might be interested in joining the Capital City Tbird Club in Austin. Great club, and I am also a member of it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
                        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

I saw that Bird down there!

I stopped by a few times to check out the interior thinking each time "Ah...that's what its meant to look like!".

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, YellowRose. My daughter has joined an Autin T-bird club, not sure which one. Thanks for the compliments, Irishman, I'll see that she sees this!

I restore and build classic motorcycles, but working on this old T-bird and riding with her has got me excited about four wheels (didn't know that was possible)!

Comment

Hi Steve, I hope it was the Capital City Thunderbird Club. There are two Austin Tbird clubs that I know of. One of them is the ATO Club and it is for 1955-1957 and Retrobirds only. The other one covers all years, 1955-2005 and that is the club that I am a member of, as President of the South Texas Thunderbird Club. Their leadership is also a member of our club. Doris Cox is the President of the Capital City club and her hubby is the Vintage Thunderbird Club, International (VTCI) Regional Director for all the VTCI clubs in Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana. Her email is dcox@austin.rr.com and I hope that is the club that she has joined! They are a great, active club and they do events in conjunction with the ATO club and ours.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
                              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X