Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdhowell
    Apprentice
    • Jun 15 2011

You can but I am afraid it is a waste of time. And most control modules are not refundable. A new one would need programmed.
    Spend a little to have it scanned.
    The trouble code is just the starting point to diagnose the actual problem. Without it, it's guess work and throwing away money on parts you may not need.

Comment

• yellow98cobra
      Experienced
      • May 28 2012

Last week I stopped in at my local garage to get estamates on some work I want done on my Tbird and mentioned the issue I am haveing with my truck and they said it sounded like the BCM, later that day I got a call from the shop and they told they had talked with a Ford guru and he said to check FUSE # 24 and to replace it and see if fixed the problem or blew out right away and if so I have short somewhere.

Well the fuse was blown and the new fuse blew as soon as I put it in.

So how do I locate a short? what should I look for?

I have looked at the bulbs and connections to the Vanity mirrors and I pulled down the map lights and everything looks clean on the backside and the bulbs are all good.
      Yellow98Cobra
      1960 Thunderbird HT
      Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
      There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
      http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/

Comment

• cdhowell
        Apprentice
        • Jun 15 2011

Go to Alldatadiy.com. For $27 a year you will have all the info about your truck.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Here is how I do it on modern fuses...

I have a tool that I made:
          Take a blown fuse and carefully expose the top of the stabs (the part that is in plastic). QUICKLY solder small wires to each stab at the top, and run them to a 12-volt load, like an old stop light (1156 or 1157). A trailer light will work or anything that makes a load. So now you have a wire with a fuse on one end and a light on the other.

You can make the wires as long as it takes to see the bulb from anywhere in the interior. (I set mine on the dash but insulate any heat from the bulb.)

When you remove the bad fuse and plug this tester into the fuse slot your bulb will shine as long as the short remains.

If some interior lights shine, unplug them. Eventually, as you go through the circuit, you will unplug the culprit and your tester light will go dead.

I have found bad license plate bulb sockets that were shorted to the chassis, and a host of other problems (like pinched or frayed wires). Sometimes (if you're lucky) the bad circuit will heat the wires leading directly to the short.

Happy hunting. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎