No announcement yet.

Car lifts I need help..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car lifts I need help..

What brand of car lift should I buy? Which is better a two or four post lift?

Larry
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Better for what? Usually, four post lifts have two ramps that the wheels ride on. That won't do much good if you're doing a brake or muffler job.

Two post lifts normally have four arms that lift your car's frame.

Whatever you decide on, get a good one. All the lifts in the US now come from CHINA. I think that gets these companies off the hook for liability because they know you're not going over to Asia to sue them for a bad weld job.

Make sure you install a proper MOTOR STARTER with thermal and magnetic overloads. DO NOT let anyone try to convince you that their system doesn't need one. It does, the National Electrical Code requires one, and you want it for personal protection and liability. If you're not sure about this make an anonymous phone call to your local Electrical Inspector.

You can find name brand (Square D, Allen Bradley, Westinghouse, GE, Gould, Cutler-Hammer, Siemens) manual motor starters on eBay or at your local electrical supply store. Buy proper overload heaters for it to match the motor you get. They go by horsepower and duty cycle. Motor Starters usually have a lockout, so you can shut power off and lock it while performing maintenance on the electric motor.

The lockout also serves as a disconnect, which must be 'in sight' of the motor. Normally, we mount it on one of the posts, close to the motor. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Ian M Greer
      Experienced
      • Jul 29 2010

Larry , I personally am eyeing the Back Yard Buddy Lift . I'm very impressed with their quality ( You Get What You Pay For ) They are made in the STATES (YES a North American Product ) with North American Steel . They are pricey but I favor them. Check their web site out , Ian .(REMEMBER NOT ALL BIRDS FLY SOUTH ) P/S any two post set-up takes up more floor space , width wise than a four post and you can jack up your car and used jack stands using a rolling platform or go the extra expense and purchase the rolling hydraulic jack setup, with a four post. Check out their dimensions , you might be surprised .

Comment

• fcar
        Apprentice
        • Nov 13 2010

My 4 post is often used for storage ie one car raised--utilizing drip trays-- and one beneath which is not readily doable with a 2 post. A 4 post requires slightly more setup work for some jobs and can be somewhat physically awkward due to the ramps. For a busy shop a 2 post is far more convenient but a 4 post offers storage, ability to do alignments and some space savings.

So it really does depend on your primary use--just get the safest, most well built lift you can, and I personally would not want a "roll around" lift though I did consider them. Also consider used commercial lifts, and whatever you buy have it put together and installed by people that do it for a living!

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Ian is right about the backyard buddy. I meant to say all the TWO POST lifts are coming from China. My cousin got a two-post last year. It's nice but so are four post lifts as each has their forte.

Safety is of course, the most important factor. If I were to get a two-post, I would mount it on no less than six inches of cement with a footing. Those tall portable jack stands help a lot, too. When 4,000 lbs. is hoisted six feet, it tends to teeter without the stabilizing jacks, even when the center of gravity is followed. Another 'peeve' I heard was from someone who doesn't like going on their knees to center the arms. Sorry, but there's no way around that with a 2-post.

My cousin hoists his '57 Chevy, and parks his Amphicar under it all winter. So, a 2-post can be a car stacker.

I would think a four-post would be much safer and much more convenient, but I just can't get passed the runners being in the way when doing car work. Some companies have a sliding jack platform for use with a scissors or bottle jack but still, that's more stuff in the way. It's ok if the hoist is simply used for a car stacker. Sometimes I forget that many classic car owners do not wrench.

If you plan on working under the car, lighting is always an issue. I mounted one 4-ft fluorescent shop light on each of the two posts with a lighting switch and a separate 230-volt receptacle for his MIG welder. I used those plastic tubes that slide around the fluorescent lamp tubes, in case of flying missiles and weld spatter. Plenty of light, now.

I like the idea that the wheels are off the ground when working under the hood. We've seen too many cars drop into gear and take off backwards. Had they been suspended, all that would never happen. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎