Need an alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an alternator

Can anyone help me find an alternator? If you guys have bought one and it fits I’d appreciate it if you gave me a part number or something. I’ve been running in circles with this. Spent way too many hours researching the forum and it’s links in the TRL, googling and browsing auto parts websites. I have a 1964 Ford 390 FE, I’ve bought the CRAP bracket that fits both Ford and Chevy alternators it says, and it’s going in a 1960 Ford Thunderbird. I’ll have the Classic Air A/C and may want Electric Fans in the future. Pertronix Distributor. Not much else. No power seats or windows, a basic stereo.
    From what I gather, I need a 3-wire for the GEN light and constant charging at idle, preferably Ford, 130-150 amps. Any suggestions please?! Brands? Summit? Jegs? Powermaster? Size?
    ‘Thanks in advance.
    SquareBird in BirdCity

What bracket did you buy? Your 1964 block already has the hole for the alternator bracket. You need the stock alternator bracket, not the generator to alternator conversion bracket. As for the alternator I recommend at least a Ford 3G 130 amp alternator. The brand doesn't matter. The only issue is the pulley. It will most likely come with a serpentine pulley. You will need to change it to a v-belt pulley. You can use the pulley from your old generator or alternator, whichever you have. Check out this link.
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/inst...r-older-fords/

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thanks John. Here’s what I bought. It’s the correct one. Paid $10 more for the 2-piece bracket to give me the extra option to do Chevy as well, just in case.
      FCBBFC4A-81C9-4C39-AB4B-3387678744C1.png

My Motor didn’t come with anything on it, alternator or generator. That’s why I’m struggling with this. I don’t have any frame of reference. I’ll look at that link after work. Thanks again.
      SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

That's the correct bracket. As for Ford or GM you can find each in a 120-130 amp model however you may get belt slipping and occasional squealing with anything higher than 100 amp using a single pulley v-belt. I wouldn't go any higher than 130 amp unless you plan on changing everything over to a serpentine belt system. I recommend a 3 wire and not a 1 wire. If the price is comparable I would go with the Ford 3G.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

I agree with everything John posted. Here is a very nice NEW 3G 130-amp alt for a 1994 Thunderbird (F4PZ 10346-B): CLICK HERE
          The price is $68 delivered to your door. You can buy the two connectors at your local auto parts store, rockauto.com or on eBay.
          This alternator should be perfect for your application and it outputs enough to run an electric fan at idle speed.

Yes, this alternator will work with your GEN light exactly the way you expect it would. Your car's GEN wire connects to this alternator's 'sense' wire. - Dave
          My latest project:
          CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Much appreciated John and Dave! Your expertise and willingness to assist strangers on this forum doesn’t go unrecognized. Thanks!
            SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

My Step-Dad installed the CRAP bracket today while I was working. He had an alternator from his Factory Five Hot Rod he built that didn’t work. So he temporarily tossed it on. Looks good! I’m sure it’s too much. 250 Amp. For a Coyote Motor. Haha! You guys agree?
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/252995713330

3570DB47-322A-488E-93B9-FFB58F1A29B4.jpeg
              SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

Originally posted by Wudro View Post
                My Step-Dad installed the CRAP bracket today while I was working. He had an alternator from his Factory Five Hot Rod he built that didn’t work. So he temporarily tossed it on. Looks good! I’m sure it’s too much. 250 Amp. For a Coyote Motor. Haha! You guys agree?..
                If it fits and you already have it, YES! I like it a lot. The biggest issue will be the belt because this beast will draw up to 4-HP. That's twice the power a 130-amp alt can run at. Remember, your original generator produced 30-amps (or 1/2-HP). <--That is what your original belt was designed to drive.

Even at 2-HP, your belt will have a very hard time unless you increase the pulley diameter or add another sheave. - Dave
                My latest project:
                CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

I hear ya Dave. Now I gotta figure out what that means. I’ll weigh my options. The $68 alternator you recommended is cheap, heck I paid over $100 for a bracket! So if that one fits with little modifications, it may be my best bet. This Coyote alternator would need some adjustments, maybe adding/subtracting spacers he said. I need a pulley anyway since it came with none. So I’ll look into that. I just researched the Surpentine Pulley Kit and at $500-$800 I think I’ll pass. Still undecided. Ugh.
                  Thanks Fellas
                  SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

Well sorry for wasting your guy’s time. I hope this helped other Bird Owners. Today I was going over what we needed with my Stepdad. We almost got the Transmission attached but will order a new Flexplate just to be safe. It’s funny, they say I need a 153 tooth plate but the one on there had 152. I counted 4 times!
                    Anyway, I messaged “gregz” after reading a post he mentioned about getting the serpentine pulley kit from CVF, and he says he is in the middle of install, but would likely have gone with the all inclusive “Wraptor” kit instead of the “Beast” which I was looking into after Joe and Dave mentioned slippage. I am missing an alternator, a power steering pump and pulley, and the water pump pulley. I’ve priced those out and it starts to add up. My Stepdad said pull it up online, let’s see what it looks like. 10 minutes later we purchased the kit, with HIS Credit Card! What a guy. Helping me build this Tbird, paying for parts, and taking care of my Mom while she battles Multiple Myeloma Cancer. I am very lucky, and grateful.
                    Thanks again everyone. The kit is expensive but it should be worth it. Build it once and do it Right the First Time!
                    Ryan (Wudro)
                    SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

Hi Ryan, no worries about wasting our time.... Please give your Step-Dad my best regards... I have been down the path he is on regarding caring for my Wife, Faye... 22 years ago....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
                      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'test.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php72/root/usr/share/pear') in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78