Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this rebuildable. Standard bore apparently.

Hey, I'm looking at headers, which makes me look a lot closer. Are you SURE it's a standard bore? Your answer makes a big difference.
    Looks like you're missing pistons, rods, rod caps, flex plate, oil pump and pickup and who knows what from the front.

Ok, now for the big question: How long is the stroke? Does the crankshaft turn?
    My latest project:
    CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

I haven't looked at it yet Dave it just showed up for sale in my area. Fe are pretty rare in this part of the world. Last one that was for sale about 2 months ago was $2500. It was straight out of a car and was said to be a runner but who knows what condition it was in. Not much point in paying that sort of money before you start a rebuild. This guy wants $750 for this and tranny. Id be looking at about $150 in that condition. According to add standard.
      Last edited by stubbie; April 18th, 2020, 10:00 PM.

Comment

A 390 IS VERY attractive but is it really a 390? Aside from price (which is way too high), many get duped into buying a 352 that was supposed to be a 390. Not seeing pistons is a big problem. Pistons will tell if they are OEM or aftermarket pistons will show an oversize number on top.

The date code can help because 390 came out in 1961.

You can check the stroke without pistons or heads. Align #1 rod pin with the block skirt. Put a stick up against the crank pin and mark it at the block skirt. Without moving the crank, put the stick against #4 crank pin and mark it at the block skirt. Measure between the marks on the stick. If you get ~3-1/2" it's a 352. If you get ~3-3/4" it's a 390 (or 427 depending on the bore).

The rust doesn't bother me but too many missing parts will cost a fortune to replace. - Dave
        My latest project:
        CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Yeah think I'm going to give it a miss and wait for something better.

Comment

Originally posted by stubbie View Post
            I haven't looked at it yet Dave it just showed up for sale in my area. Fe are pretty rare in this part of the world. Last one that was for sale about 2 months ago was $2500. It was straight out of a car and was said to be a runner but who knows what condition it was in. Not much point in paying that sort of money before you start a rebuild. This guy wants $750 for this and tranny. Id be looking at about $150 in that condition. According to add standard.
            Where are you again?
            59-430-HT

Comment

Henry, Phil is located in Perth, Western Australia, one of a number of Forum members there! If you want to check on someone's location just click on their User Id under their Avatar. Then click on About and it will tell you where they are located. It used to be that information was shown in the old vBulletin version we were on, but no longer. But it is still available.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thanks Ray. Yes Perth Western Australia. Fe engines are few and far between here.

Comment

Find a runner from Ca. Should be several on this board who could help
                  This place says $450 (assume US dollars?) to get it to AUS.......

http://www.usatoaus.com/supplier-page/

This thread is 10 years old, but talks about adding your shipment
                  to someone's container, could be another kinda cheap method.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...tralia.367384/
                  59-430-HT

Comment

Phil knows how to get equipment to him because he is one of the people in Perth, who provided me with information regarding the company(s) that he and others in Perth and other parts of Australia use to import their cars and parts. You will find this information in the Advertisements Forum under the title of: America To Aussie/NZ Tbird/Parts Shipping and also America To Europe Tbird/Parts Shipping. Two threads that I posted 5 years ago with the help of our membership who have been importing cars and parts for years from the US. Check them out!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thanks OX1 have thought about that and have used USA to Aust before when I got all my upholstery sent over. Might look into it or use the 302 I have in my shed with a supercharger.

Comment

Working...
                      X