Announcement

Collapse

PLEASE RELOAD YOUR AVATAR. You shouldn't have any problems doing this, now. Thanks again for the delay but now it is over. - Dave
See more
See less

HV Oil Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HV Oil Pump

Engine build is going veeeeeery sloooowly (not enough time to spare..), but I would like peoples opinion on using a high volume oil pump. I bought one a while ago, seemed a logical thing to do, but the wider internet opinion seems to be divided. I am aware of requirement to restrict oil to the top end (Holley jets) but I have read elsewhere that unless you are running an oil pan in excess of 6 quarts capacity (which the standard 352 pan isn't) the HV pump can empty the pan (empty maybe an over exaggeration ?!) This is a standard 352 rebuild so its not going to be pulling high revs. Is this the usual case of believe 20% of what you read ?

Thanks

Jon
    Jon
    Deepest Hertfordshire
    Old enough to know I'm right...
    1960 Hardtop T'bird
    1961 Hotchkiss M201

It's common for FE owners to add an extra quart of oil when going on a long interstate trip. If the heads hang on to that quart, so what. Restricting oil to the rocker arms is a good idea because rocker arms don't need much lubrication and the restriction adds more resistance to flow which keeps oil pressure up (especially at idle speeds).
    I use a standard oil pump. It delivers enough flow.

Pressure is resistance to flow. <--take this to the bank. It works in your body as well.

If your engine pressure is down then your bearings leak like a sieve or your pump rotors are sloppy. A HV pump might help but If I had the oil pan off I would simply change bearings and use a standard pump.

I have used HV pumps. Once the pressure is up, all that excess volume (flow) goes right past the pressure relief valve and back into the oil pan. Therefore, I've gained nothing. - Dave
    My latest project:
    CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Thanks Dave.
      good point regarding the pressure relief valve, hadn’t considered that.

Jon
      Jon
      Deepest Hertfordshire
      Old enough to know I'm right...
      1960 Hardtop T'bird
      1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

[QUOTE=mh434;n237695
        Is this the usual case of believe 20% of what you read ?
        [QUOTE]

As far as perhaps being applicable to a singular instance?..............YES!

Often a particular "recipe" of process someone may have followed and perhaps with a good outcome, or failure, does not preclude all other observations.

The answer to the question: Do I need a "High-Volume" oil pump for my application? This rests in the understanding of the pumping volume requirements, or sometimes defined as the "bleed-rate" or "loss-rate" of the lubricating oil system within "your" engine.

So, particularly what sum of clearances are exhibited in the main and rod bearings to crankshaft, are resultant cam bearing clearances great, lifters lose in the bores, rocker arms to shafts clearances generous, some of these surface relationships may not truly be rectified for wear in the rebuilding, were modifications made to enhance oil delivery to surfaces otherwise felt to suffer, or retard, which for the typical "street-driver" intention I would generally recommend against? All of this should be discovered in the rebuilding process, perhaps as relative to that which one believes the engine originally exhibited and as suitable for the "standard" volume pump, vs. post the rebuilding and may require more capacity. And only then, one has a better understanding of what the potential requirements may be considering the environment, and then in all honesty, it still proves to be at times, a bit of a "crap-shoot".

Scott.

Comment

Working...
        X