Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim
    • Sep 2 2010

Is it a 430?

My 1959 tbird vin indicates that the car came with a 430 engine. I really do not know too much about them, so if the vin states it is a 430 well then it must be. NOT!?
    I just started to look this car over and I am trying to compare the numbers that I find on the car to the numbers in the manuals. I discovered that on the manifold (intake?) the cast number is B9ME - 9425 - A. Well I have learned that B9ME represents a 1959 Mercury engine. Does that mean the engine I have in the car is not a 430 but rather a 383 mercury? Thus not being the original engine. Or could it be that the manifold is just a replacement. When I look at the pictures and compare it to my engine, to me they look similar. I guess I will find out soon enough when I start to get into the engine.

Ok, so if it is not a 430, does anyone think I can find an appropriate 430 to slip back into her? Or will that be an impossible task? I am trying to restore to original shape.

Any guidance with this issue would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Jim
  • GTE427
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 9 2007

Jim,

B9ME-9425-A is a good number on a 1960 thunderbird with the Lincoln 430. Many of the Casting Numbers are of the Mercury Division as it is a Lincoln Engine. Their are many thread on this forum that discussed these codes in length.

The VTCI sells a 1958-60 OFS that is invaluable if you what to check the authenticity of your car, $50 on CD last I looked, you must be a member. Everything you what to know and more is contained in the Specification. Also discussed in detail here.

Look above that casting number for four characters, such as 9M28, this is the date code of the manifold, translates to 1959, Dec, 28th day. See how closely the date relates to your data plate date.
    Ken
    1959 J Convertible
    1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• Jim
      • Sep 2 2010

Hi Ken,

Thanks for that information and re-assurance. I noticed yesterday the VTCI 1958-60 OFS, I am definitely joining that group and I will be ordering that CD.

The number that was above the casting number was 0B16.

Jim

Comment

• GTE427
        Super-Experienced
        • Oct 9 2007

Originally posted by Jim
        Hi Ken,

The number that was above the casting number was 0B16.
        Feb 16, 1960 is when the manifold was cast. Prior to your car's build date. Looks to be original to the car in my opinion.
        Ken
        1959 J Convertible
        1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
          Experienced
          • Jun 2 2010

Yep...I have the same number on my intake on my 430.
          "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• Rockin Kev
            Experienced
            • Oct 31 2002

Originally posted by Jim
            My 1959 tbird vin indicates that the car came with a 430 engine. I really do not know too much about them, so if the vin states it is a 430 well then it must be. NOT!?
            I just started to look this car over and I am trying to compare the numbers that I find on the car to the numbers in the manuals. I discovered that on the manifold (intake?) the cast number is B9ME - 9425 - A. Well I have learned that B9ME represents a 1959 Mercury engine. Does that mean the engine I have in the car is not a 430 but rather a 383 mercury? Thus not being the original engine. Or could it be that the manifold is just a replacement. When I look at the pictures and compare it to my engine, to me they look similar. I guess I will find out soon enough when I start to get into the engine.

Ok, so if it is not a 430, does anyone think I can find an appropriate 430 to slip back into her? Or will that be an impossible task? I am trying to restore to original shape.

Any guidance with this issue would be helpful.

Thanks,
            Jim

Jim, you will need to check that you have the correct axle ratio too, and under carriage to take the weight of the 430, if the car is a true 430 then hopefully you will be ok, as your in Vermont there is a breakers yard in Hardwick? full of old cars, there are 2 J code T-birds in there, mind you this was 4 years ago now but hey they could still be there
            Kev.

Comment

• Jim
              • Sep 2 2010

Hi Kev

Hi Kev, Thanks for the information. I will see what is up in Hardwick.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎