X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60 T-Bird
    Experienced
    • Jun 2 2010

Rebuild kits for 430

Looking into complete overhaul kits on the Internet. EGGE was one suggestion from an engine builder I have been talking to. There price is around $1800. Another is Mad Dog racing out of Florida and cost $1140. Anyone know the quality of these or any other companies offering rebuild kits?
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Kanter Auto Products has them too. The basic kit costs $1,100 (item #089749G).

I suggest you get with a GOOD engine machine shop, and decide how far you will bore and hone your cylinders.

After you order and get delivery of your new pistons, the machine shop needs their diameter to do the actual boring and honing.

You can find good stuff on eBay, like true roller timing chains and Clevite 77 bearings. I suggest you pop for moly rings. All the new engines use them. That's one reason why modern engines last so long.

Head machining is a must. I had my exhaust valves machined and fitted with hardened seats, and I had the stem towers machined for viton seals. The hardened seats will allow safe use of unleaded gas, and the viton seals work a whole lot better than those umbrella seals (that harden and fail). - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Be aware that these kits do not offer pistons with the correct dome shape. Only EGGE 462 pistons are correct. Their 430 piston(s) are not correct.
      Last edited by Guest; July 12, 2010, 08:50 AM. Reason: TO FURTHER QUALIFY A STATEMENT

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by KULTULZ

Be aware that these kits do not offer pistons with the correct dome shape. Only EGGE 462 pistons are correct. Their 430 piston(s) are not correct.
        Here is a thread from The LINC FORUM that details slightly the MEL COMBUSTION CHAMBER DESIGN and the need for the correct piston domes. The dome shape(s) actually make the combustion chamber as the MEL has flat cylinder heads (except for 63/65 4V).

- http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb...hamber#p190012

Also shown will be EGGE replacement pistons that are not correct.

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
          Experienced
          • Jun 2 2010

Thanx for the input. Called Egge today and the Tech guy said the piston issue is way over rated. There may be a slight loss in hp. He also stated that he has had returns of at least once a year with pre-detonation damage from the wedge types. Guess the gas id not what it was in 1960.
          I will look into Kanter also.
          "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by 60 T-Bird

Thanx for the input.

Called Egge today and the Tech guy said the piston issue is way over rated.
            That is because he doesn't offer the correct piston and does not want to lose the sale (refer to correct cam gear post and EGGE is there too).

There may be a slight loss in hp. He also stated that he has had returns of at least once a year with pre-detonation damage from the wedge types. Guess the gas id not what it was in 1960.

I will look into Kanter also.
            There is no waranty on detonation damaged pistons. That is the fault of the engine builder.

I will get you guys a correct source tomorrow.

Comment

• KULTULZ

I had already posted it-

The 430 engine was planned for the 1958 Thunderbird, but was only used in the 1959 and 1960 Thunderbirds. This forum is for the discussion of this Mercury - Edsel - Lincoln engine.

Getting old...

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎