X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60 T-Bird
    Experienced
    • Jun 2 2010

How to pull a 430

Just bought a 60 bird with a 430. I'm doing a rebuild on it and the tranny. I am assuming that the engine needs to be free of the tranny. Looks too tight to drag both out. I've removed the radiator. Does the AC condenser come out too? Headers? Any input or files are appreciated.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
  • partsetal
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 4 2005

If you've got a/c, you have to separate the tranny from the motor. The evaporator box will not permit them to come out together. Care must be taken to avoid damaging this box when maneuvering the motor, remove the front half if you can to make things easier.
    Remove the condenser just to give more room in case the engine slips forward as you are lifting it. The exhaust manifolds, generator and water pump can stay on. Remove the p/s pump if you can, otherwise remove the lines to the control valve. Remove the compressor, but the bracket will clear. Remove the three idler arm bracket to frame bolts and drop the tie rods and center link to clear the oil pan. You will have to unbolt the starter, but you can't remove it until you move the motor forward.
    If you are using an engine crane, do some measuring to make sure your lift arm will go high enough to allow the oil pan to clear the nose. This is a heavy engine and it is maneuvered with small planned movements, take your time.
    I've taken several out and put several in, some with the tranny attached. I may not have covered everything, so let me know if you have questions.
    Carl

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
      Experienced
      • Jun 2 2010

Thanx Carl...great input. Didn't know about the starter. I'll remember that putting it back in. Interesting about the tie rods. One tie rod end it broken from pushing the car around without the engine running. I have to temporarily fix it to move the car in the garage where I have a 3 ton chain hoist. I hear the engines weigh 735 lbs. I also heard Ford stopped making them because they never blew up!
      "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• tp tbird
        Experienced
        • Dec 17 2007

I did my 59 430 and it is not fun ,but can be done.I had to take mine out three times .The first time was with the tranny attached to it and back in with it. The other two were without the tranny this was done do to a oil leak on engine rebuilt. You can look at my other post on what it did and the problems I had. Also have some pictures on :http://s328.photobucket.com/albums/l356/tptbird/ ,good luck

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎