• Show
Clear All
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

NC&SC CL finds '60 Tbird and '58 hubcaps

Eric
    registry 5347

Thanks Eric for the heads-up. I just bought the 58 hubcaps.

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

No problem Jed - glad someone could use them - they looked like a deal. (You're lucky they were for a '58 instead of a '60 or I would have snagged them ). I'm really wishin' I could go see that '60 but just made an offer on a '30 A 4 door.

Eric

Comment

Eric, yea geez, that '60 bird is quite a value for $800. A guy really should go get that, but then I'm about 900 miles away. The hubcaps are being mailed to me via USPS parcel post so that was easy. Good luck on gettin' the 1930 A. Sure would like to see pics of it when and if you bring her home.

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

I never got to see the '58 caps, where they pretty straight Jed?

-Jon in TX.
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Originally posted by tbird430
            I never got to see the '58 caps, where they pretty straight Jed? -Jon in TX.
            Don't know yet John. The caps were in NC, so hopefully they are in the mail to me in MN. I'll let you know when I receive them.

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

Hey Jed,

Did that fellow wonder how in the world someone in Minnesota found his hubcaps in NC?

Still waiting on a decision from the guy on the A.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by DKheld
                Hey Jed,

Did that fellow wonder how in the world someone in Minnesota found his hubcaps in NC? Eric
                Eric, to make a long story short, he wasn't curious at all, but maybe amazed as he let out a long whistle and said something in SC country slang that I couldn't understand because of his back country southern dialect. I had a difficult understanding him because of his dialect. He was a very nice man and we did talk at some length about Detroit Lakes, MN cause he had a Navy vet buddy that was from Detroit Lakes, but he hadn't seen or talked with his buddy for 40+ years. Sounded as if this man was his best buddy during their service years of which they spent most of their time in Greenland, Iceland and Maine.

I asked him if he would accept paypal payment, had an email address and if he could USPS parcel post ship the caps to me. He said, "ohhh nooooo, I'm just a dumb old country boy and I don't know how to do any of that stuff, but my wife is coming right back and she'll call you and take care of everything." We spent several minutes spelling and writing my name and telephone # down so he could give it to his wife.

She called me back in 15 minutes and precisely took all of my info down, gave me her email and paypal account name, we agreed on shipping cost of $18 and I immediately paypaled her the $38. She said she'd mail them out first thing on monday. She was a very kind lady who spoke very clear concise English.

So for $38 of entertainment it will be a plus if I get 3 hubcaps in the mail that are in good shape.

Comment

• tbird430
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 18 2007

Funny story Jed, good luck on those H/caps. There are getting harder to find each day it seems.
                  sigpic
                  The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• frank58
                    Super-Experienced
                    • May 28 2006

Originally posted by Ca58tbird

we agreed on shipping cost of $18 and I immediately paypaled her the $38.
                    Are you saying you bought a set of '58 hubcaps for $20. ????

OMG Good for you.

I won't tell you what I paid a few years ago.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Jed good stuff and great story about the 58 hubcaps. When they arrive please take pixs so I can see what they actually looked like in the day. The price was certainly conducive
                      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                      Thunderbird Registry
                      58HT #33317
                      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

[quote=frank58;44958]Are you saying you bought a set of '58 hubcaps for $20. ????quote]

Yup, sure did! $20 buck for all 3. 15 years ago I paid $50 a piece for a set of 4. I spun a cap or two off into the ditch or median a few times until I learned to file V-grooves in the lock grips. Haven't spun a cap since. But then I don't really ever drive the Bird too often these days.

I think it was in '96 or '97 while I was spinning caps off the Bird, my wife was driving a '65 Mustang and she spun one off and lost it. I always found my caps in the ditch, but then I probably spent more time looking in the ditch until I found it then she did. She came home crying about her lost hubcap. I recall it must have been our anniversary or maybe her birthday that was just around the corner. So I surprised her with one hubcap for her gift. I hid the hubcap under her pillow and filled the hubcap with a new sexy lingerie ensemble. She was wondering why I hadn't got her a gift until she went to bed that evening. The story ends with all happy including the Mustang that got to wear the new hubcap.

I won't even start the story of her running that '65 out of gas on top of the Thomas High Bridge crossing over the LA harbor from Long Beach to San Pedro. However I will say that all of the toll booth workers on the bridge were thoroughly entertained.

Comment

• frank58
                          Super-Experienced
                          • May 28 2006

Great story... I also paid $50.00 each for a set of 4 about 3 years ago. Thats interesting about the grooves... i dont suppose you have a pic? sounds like a good tip for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by frank58
                            Thats interesting about the grooves... i dont suppose you have a pic? sounds like a good tip for everyone.
                            Frank, Sorry no pic to show, but make the grooves into the hubcap lock tabs by using a triangle file. File the grooves down about 1/8" - 3/16" deep so you are creating teeth into the metal tabs that will grip into the painted steel of the wheel.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎