X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wudro
    Experienced
    • Jan 25 2015

1960 A/C Dash Parts Wanted

Does anyone have an extra Chrome A/C Bezel and Vents on the dash of a 1960 TBird they are willing to sell?
    Thanks in advance
    Ryan (Wudro)

For Reference:

DE823871-235A-4700-99C8-BC621DF1D09A.jpeg
    SquareBird in BirdCity
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Two people come to mind, Ryan, John Draxler of Thunderbird Ranch and the best way to get in contact him is to email him at: jdrax@tbirdranch.com. Because he often is not near his phone to answer it. The other person is Carl Heller ~ partsetal on here. He will probably see this post, but you can PM him to see if he has one in stock. If that does not work for you, if someone can give me the Ford Part # to that AC chrome bezel I can look for it nationally. Do you have the chrome piece for the radio? If not, I need that Ford Part 3 also..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Wudro
      Experienced
      • Jan 25 2015

Thanks as always Ray! I’ve been in contact with Carl, and he has the vents but no bezel. I just emailed John. What I’m trying to do is Retrofit the Original Dash A/C assembly to work with my aftermarket Classic Aire kit. I’d like to run 2 of the ducts up to the dash and only install 2 down below. I do have 2 radios, but I’m thinking of getting the USA-740 to put in. I hope it would fit and look clean. I’m not sure though. There is a chance I may also need this part behind the Vents that I assume is cardboard and connects to the A/C unit.

5112534A-5600-4311-9E91-0CFC83B7F7BF.jpeg
      SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Ryan, as I recall, that part IS cardboard, and probably pretty well shot now after some 60 years. You may have to make a new one for this to work. John ~ jopizz probably can comment more on this. IF the one that is there is still in fairly decent condition, you may be able to use it, or use it as a guide to make a new one, perhaps out of metal....

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Wudro
          Experienced
          • Jan 25 2015

Unfortunately, John Draxler doesn’t have any of those parts right now. If he’s out and Carl (partsetal) doesn’t have a bezel, I may be SOL. I roamed and rummaged around Desert Valley Auto Parts near me in AZ, and didn’t see one there. I may have to abandon this idea and go back to the suggested install. Thanks for everyone’s help as always
          SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Ryan, do not give up just yet... I have NOT put my Bloodhound nose to the trail yet looking for this part. Because I was hoping that someone would come up with the bezel. Is that the only thing you lack? Other than maybe having to make that cardboard 19711? Does Carl have the 19234 and 19649 parts? Let me see if I can find the Ford Part # for the bezel that goes above the radio. If I can, then I can search nationwide to see who has that part used. Or can find a Squarebird parts car that part can be taken off of.. In fact, I might be able to find one in my own backyard. There is a major scrapyard about an hour from me that has a number of Squarebirds in it. I know that, because I have been through them getting the VIN #'s and Data Plate info from them to report to John Rotella for his tbird.info Registry. I will call them tomorrow and see if they can tell me if they have one they can pull. It probably would have to be cleaned and re-chromed because those cars have been sitting in those fields for many years. Knowing what that Ford Part # is would help, but I also know what it looks like and can send them a picture of it... I assume you are speaking of the chrome piece below the AC vent that is right above the radio knobs that shows the AM Stations in it...
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• OX1
              Super-Experienced
              • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by Wudro
              Thanks as always Ray! I’ve been in contact with Carl, and he has the vents but no bezel. I just emailed John. What I’m trying to do is Retrofit the Original Dash A/C assembly to work with my aftermarket Classic Aire kit. I’d like to run 2 of the ducts up to the dash and only install 2 down below. I do have 2 radios, but I’m thinking of getting the USA-740 to put in. I hope it would fit and look clean. I’m not sure though. There is a chance I may also need this part behind the Vents that I assume is cardboard and connects to the A/C unit.

5112534A-5600-4311-9E91-0CFC83B7F7BF.jpeg
              That was my plan too. I don't like the rectangle outlets they give you that look like they came out of an 80's Fairmount.
              I think they had underdash chrome round one's (or I found them on E-bay, forget) that I thought would look better, and being
              n lower edges of dash, much less noticeable overall.
              59-430-HT

Comment

• Wudro
                Experienced
                • Jan 25 2015

I agree OX1! I figured 2 in the dash assembly above the radio, and I’ll get 2 round ones to mount somewhere else.

I have not tried Pat Wilson’s yet OUR5T8BIRD. I’ll give them a call. Thank you.

And to our favorite Bloodhound... I believe the number is 19649. It appears to me to be rectangle, with the same horizontal ribs as the radio, instrument panel and glove box door. I could be wrong though, because I’ve never seen one disassembled. My understanding is Carl has the 19234. The 19711 box I thought could be a good starting point to transition to the ductwork but I can make something out of sheet metal as you mentioned. The part you detailed I think is part of the radio. It appears the A/C bezel sits on top of the radio.
                We all appreciate your assistance Ray! But please don’t waste too much time looking for it. You have more important things to do! Hopefully one will pop up.
                SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

BTW the Classic Auto Air kit for the Squarebird does come with the 4 round ones...

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Ryan.... Check your private messages... If you have any questions call me at 210-875-1411... In fact PLEASE do call me, or shoot me your phone number so I can call you on my dime... I have some questions I need to ask you...

Comment

• frank58
                      Super-Experienced
                      • May 28 2006

If the cardboard part is still together but fragile you could fiberglass it.....??

Comment

• Wudro
                        Experienced
                        • Jan 25 2015

That’s a good suggestion frank58. Unfortunately, both my Finish car and Donor car didn’t come equipped with A/C. So I’m lacking all parts. I think a sheet metal fabrication would be the best bet. Also, because I’d have to go from rectangle on one side and 2 round holes on the other for the vent tubing.
                        SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• OX1
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by YellowRose
                          BTW the Classic Auto Air kit for the Squarebird does come with the 4 round ones...
                          Didn't always. They still have old pics on their site even.

https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/...ioning-system/

1960-FORD-THUNDERBIRD-CENTER-LOUVER.jpg
                          59-430-HT

Comment

• OX1
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Feb 10 2016

I've thought of possibly even using in dash vents in the lower recessed panel. Have to check how much space is back there, I forget.
                            Would allow you to cool high and low in conjunction with factory vent.

s-l300.png

20201014_211057.jpg
                            59-430-HT

Comment

• Wudro
                              Experienced
                              • Jan 25 2015

Well I just went to another place called “Hidden Valley Auto Parts” and they had 3-‘58s but not what I needed. A funny thing I’ve never seen. He said one out there had A/C in the trunk, and I thought he was mixing up the years or cars or something. But, sure enough, there it was. Not sure if that was stock or dealer installed. Wild!

D55ED69D-F66A-4985-9BFC-3DCC1E33102F.jpeg

6DE39AE8-6CD4-40A2-A871-AE2130836F1C.jpeg
                              Attached Files
                              SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍