Announcement

Collapse

PLEASE RELOAD YOUR AVATAR. You shouldn't have any problems doing this, now. Thanks again for the delay but now it is over. - Dave
See more
See less

Steering Column Collar WTB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Column Collar WTB

Anyone have a source or selling one under $99?

Kirsten, great to hear from you again! The Bird Nest has them for sale for $89, plus shipping & handling. Page 52, Shift Collar with Access Door for $99.95 Part # 7228A. You want to get a new one, not one that has been used.
    Last edited by YellowRose; August 8th, 2019, 12:05 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator.....
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Agree that new is the way to go. Out of curiosity this used one I found... Good? Bad? Ugly?

Comment

Kirsten, it is not pretty, but it can be cleaned up, painted to match what you have. The important thing is the inside of it. It is hard to tell if the internal elements have been worn down to the point where it might be in worse condition than what you have now. Are you wanting to swap out the collar to eliminate sloppiness in shifting or locking the shift lever into position on the PRNDL? If that is the case, it may be more than just a worn tip of the shift lever. It could be the detent plate inside the steering column or the shift tube selector at the bottom of the steering wheel shaft... Have you taken out the gear shift lever on the steering wheel to see if that rubber grommet and the metal tip of the shift lever is worn? If it is, you might consider swapping it out with a new one. I see that a new gear shift lever is $35.95 at the Bird Nest.
        Last edited by YellowRose; August 8th, 2019, 12:05 AM.

The Terminator.....
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

John ~ jopizz confirms that not only does the tip of the gear shift lever get worn down over the years, but also the inside of the collar does to. You could try having it put on, with the old gear shift lever to see if there is any improvement, or with a new gear shift lever if there isn't... However, you might have to have it taken back off again, if it does not improve things, and replace it with a new one and a new gear shift lever....

The Terminator.....

Comment

Thanks. Does the gear selector lens have anything to do with improved shifting or is that merely cosmetic? I have the detent plate and the new shift stick itself waiting to go on.

Comment

Kirsten, the gear shift selector lens has nothing to do with improved shifting. It is merely cosmetic. I see you do have a new detent plate and a new gear shift lever to go on.

The Terminator.....

Comment

Anyone who sells parts here have one? Partsetal? ☺️

Comment

Originally posted by ssj335 View Post
                  Anyone who sells parts here have one? Partsetal? ☺️
                  I may have the parts from a '58 if that is of any help . Colour may be different .

Comment

I would be interested if you did. What kind of condition?

Comment

Working...
                    X