Announcement

Collapse

Price is right

Squarebirds.org has not raised our 'paid membership' fee in over 15 years. It remains at US$20 and it will NOT raise in 2022 or 2023 (pandemic, inflation, or not). - Dave
See more
See less

ford steel rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ford steel rims

I just changed over my 1964 bird front drum brakes to 1965 disc brakes. Now the problem is, " none of my 15 inch ford rims will fit over the k/h calipers". My question is what year 15 inch ford rims will fit and how to tell witch salvage yard rims will fit without buying hit and miss. Is there a part number stamped on the back side? I'm thinking of grinding the high spots of the rims where it rubs the caliper. Has anyone done this. How did you solve this problem? Thanks, Larry.

Look for 80's-early 90's Ford Ranger or early 90's Explorer. They will have the correct bolt pattern and are 15x6. Whether they will fit over your '65 calipers is another story. Your best option is to find original 65-66 Thunderbird rims.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thanks John, I read on u tube where some grind on the inside of the wheels or grind on the calipers where thay rub. What do you think of that? Thanks, Larry.

Comment

I wouldn't grind the rims (but that's just me) there should be plenty of "meat" on the caliper casting.. I know others have done it.

Comment

I agree about grinding the caliper. Plus if you need to put the spare on in an emergency it will not rub.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thanks all. I think I,ll try a little grinding on the calipers after this huricain moves out of south carolina. Thanks again, Larry.

Comment

Working...
            X