Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mitch0537
    replied
    Thanks Stubbie. I'm finding that out. The gearbox mount supports in the tunnel are 2.5 inches farther back. I looked at Dark Knight's design and other where they modified the cross member. But that seems to put stress on the mounting point where the brackets mount onto the tunnel. I'm looking into putting an eight inch steel angle piece that I can bolt onto the tunnel mount and another bolt farther back on each side of the tunnel so I can bolt the unmodified cross member to that. So far the driveshaft will work and the speedometer cable.

Leave a comment:

• stubbie
    replied
    My understanding of replacing the Crusomatic with a C6 is you only need to modify the gearbox mount.

Leave a comment:

• mitch0537
    replied
    I've got my transmission back from the builder. It's ready to go. I had a lower first and second planetary with same final put in and am sticking with my 3.0 rear differential. Calculations put it at 2350 RPM at 70 with the tires I have. I'm measuring it up and have the C6 motor mounts installed. If I measure the distance with the opening of the mounts forward, it measures that it will fit by moving the engine forward 2 inches. If I measure with the opening of the mounts facing aft, it measures that it will by about 2-2.5 inches off. I looked at a transmission crossmember for a '66 with a C6 and there is no offset to allow for the difference in the transmission mounting holes which are farther aft than a Cruise-O but the overall length is the same. Does anyone know if a '66 with a C6 has the transmission mount in the tunnel farther aft? What makes up the difference between a Cruise-O and a C6 mount?

Leave a comment:

• stubbie
    replied
    Thanks. I had thought about their adapter for a 6R80 but those tranny's seem to be light on the ground in this part of the world.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Soul
    replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9f3BfZ9Le4

Leave a comment:

• Dark Soul
    replied
    Bendtsen's, Ham Lake, Minnesota. https://transmissionadapters.com/

Leave a comment:

• stubbie
    replied
    Dark Soul which adapter did you use for the AOD conversion thanks?

Leave a comment:

• Dark Soul
    replied
    That little beauty was fabricated by a friend of mine who owns a restomod shop in Mocksville, NC.

Leave a comment:

• mitch0537
    replied
    Thanks. I like the way you did that. Others have used the existing attachment brackets but you removed them and attached directly to the frame support. Did you form that yourself?

Leave a comment:

• Dark Soul
    replied
    Originally posted by mitch0537 View Post
    Can you send pictures of the cross member directly on my email? Is it wrong to give you my email on this site? mitch0537@yahoo.com
    Done.

Leave a comment:

• YellowRose
    replied
    Joe, I was going to tell you that the best way to send an email address or telephone number is to do so in a Private Message. That way, only the person you are sending to can see it. However, I see you already posted your email address in your post...

Leave a comment:

• mitch0537
    replied
    Can you send pictures of the cross member directly on my email? Is it wrong to give you my email on this site? mitch0537@yahoo.com

Leave a comment:

• jopizz
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Soul View Post
    A picture is worth 1000 words, put I can't post one on this site for some reason.
    Only paid members can post pictures directly from their pc's or other devices. However you can upload your pictures to an external hosting site and link to it.

John

Leave a comment:

• Dark Soul
    replied
    Originally posted by mitch0537 View Post
    OK, but I've got my heart on a C6. I have it and had it overhauled with a 4 pinion planetary with lower 1st and lower second with final drive the same. I thought a lot about the AOD but this engine is expected to put out 500-550 HP and my transmission builder said the AOD wouldn't hold up as well. I am interested in your transmission crossmember since the C6 and AOD are very close in dimensions from the front of the bell to the mount bolts. Did you modify one? Buy one? where from?
    I used the old cross member as part of my new fabricated piece to extend it further back using the same attachment points, and adding more with "nutserts" at the factory reinforced areas of the floor. A picture is worth 1000 words, put I can't post one on this site for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• Bob C13
    replied
    Hi Mitch, And Dark soul, I will be reading your posts because I will be putting a 1974 F- 100 390 org. eng. in my 1959 T- Bird with 13,000 miles Re- build on it. The C-6 tranny has 1,000 mi. on it. I still need to get the org. 352 & COM out. Still working on the body right now. I could learn something from your project. Bob C 13

Leave a comment:

Working...
X