No announcement yet.

'65 Cruise-O to C6 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got my transmission back from the builder. It's ready to go. I had a lower first and second planetary with same final put in and am sticking with my 3.0 rear differential. Calculations put it at 2350 RPM at 70 with the tires I have. I'm measuring it up and have the C6 motor mounts installed. If I measure the distance with the opening of the mounts forward, it measures that it will fit by moving the engine forward 2 inches. If I measure with the opening of the mounts facing aft, it measures that it will by about 2-2.5 inches off. I looked at a transmission crossmember for a '66 with a C6 and there is no offset to allow for the difference in the transmission mounting holes which are farther aft than a Cruise-O but the overall length is the same. Does anyone know if a '66 with a C6 has the transmission mount in the tunnel farther aft? What makes up the difference between a Cruise-O and a C6 mount?

Comment

My understanding of replacing the Crusomatic with a C6 is you only need to modify the gearbox mount.

Comment

Thanks Stubbie. I'm finding that out. The gearbox mount supports in the tunnel are 2.5 inches farther back. I looked at Dark Knight's design and other where they modified the cross member. But that seems to put stress on the mounting point where the brackets mount onto the tunnel. I'm looking into putting an eight inch steel angle piece that I can bolt onto the tunnel mount and another bolt farther back on each side of the tunnel so I can bolt the unmodified cross member to that. So far the driveshaft will work and the speedometer cable.

Comment

Working...
        X