'65 Cruise-O to C6 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '65 Cruise-O to C6 conversion

So I've had this '65 Landau for almost a couple of decades and last fall, I decided to put aluminum heads and fuel injection on it. Pulled the heads and the cylinders looked bad so out comes the 390 to build my dream engine. Eagle stroker kit to 431 CI. Cam, oil pump the works only parts being reused is the block, main bearings and timing chain cover. But here's the problem. I don't think the COM will handle it so I'm converting to a C6, I have the C6, transmission and motor mounts, the front cross member shift linkage. I'm looking to anyone who has ever done this or someone with a 66 Bird with a C6. The C6 is longer than the COM also the mounts are farther back so the transmission mount cross member must be different as different lengths in the driveshaft. Unless somehow the engine is mounted about 2.5 inches forward. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Does anyone with a 66 have a pic of the transmission mount crossmember?

It's been at least two years but I upgraded from my COM to an AOD. The reason that I wanted to do that was for highway cruising; it has a 0.67 overdrive and really lowers the rip'ems. Plus the converter locks up in every gear for good efficiency. And the Throttle Valve cable gives a direct mechanical input, which allows you to downshift by pushing the throttle just the right amount, instead of an all-or-nothing kick down like on the old trannies.

Since these were made for small blocks, you need a custom adapter to make it fit. That pushes the AOD further back, but the tailshaft is so short the final assembly is about 2" shorter that your current COM. You will need to fabricate a new mount that is further back. I had to extend the control rod by about 1". From drive I shift down one notch for OD lockout.

The AOD was made 1980-91 so there are a lot of them out there. Best to get a later model from a Crown Vic or similar. High horsepower kits are available, along with shift kits. I had a local shop do the rebuild and set up the Throttle Valve cable.

Approximate costs:
    Core $400
    Rebuild with kits $2000
    Adapter $1000
    Custom rear mount $150
    Rebuild drive shaft, new yoke $300
    Extend control rod $0.05 of 3/8" rod and a few minutes with a welder.

Comment

OK, but I've got my heart on a C6. I have it and had it overhauled with a 4 pinion planetary with lower 1st and lower second with final drive the same. I thought a lot about the AOD but this engine is expected to put out 500-550 HP and my transmission builder said the AOD wouldn't hold up as well. I am interested in your transmission crossmember since the C6 and AOD are very close in dimensions from the front of the bell to the mount bolts. Did you modify one? Buy one? where from?
      Last edited by mitch0537; May 19th, 2020, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Hi Mitch, And Dark soul, I will be reading your posts because I will be putting a 1974 F- 100 390 org. eng. in my 1959 T- Bird with 13,000 miles Re- build on it. The C-6 tranny has 1,000 mi. on it. I still need to get the org. 352 & COM out. Still working on the body right now. I could learn something from your project. Bob C 13

Comment

Originally posted by mitch0537 View Post
          OK, but I've got my heart on a C6. I have it and had it overhauled with a 4 pinion planetary with lower 1st and lower second with final drive the same. I thought a lot about the AOD but this engine is expected to put out 500-550 HP and my transmission builder said the AOD wouldn't hold up as well. I am interested in your transmission crossmember since the C6 and AOD are very close in dimensions from the front of the bell to the mount bolts. Did you modify one? Buy one? where from?
          I used the old cross member as part of my new fabricated piece to extend it further back using the same attachment points, and adding more with "nutserts" at the factory reinforced areas of the floor. A picture is worth 1000 words, put I can't post one on this site for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Soul View Post
            A picture is worth 1000 words, put I can't post one on this site for some reason.
            Only paid members can post pictures directly from their pc's or other devices. However you can upload your pictures to an external hosting site and link to it.

John

John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Can you send pictures of the cross member directly on my email? Is it wrong to give you my email on this site? mitch0537@yahoo.com

Comment

Joe, I was going to tell you that the best way to send an email address or telephone number is to do so in a Private Message. That way, only the person you are sending to can see it. However, I see you already posted your email address in your post...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Originally posted by mitch0537 View Post
                  Can you send pictures of the cross member directly on my email? Is it wrong to give you my email on this site? mitch0537@yahoo.com
                  Done.

Comment

Thanks. I like the way you did that. Others have used the existing attachment brackets but you removed them and attached directly to the frame support. Did you form that yourself?

Comment

That little beauty was fabricated by a friend of mine who owns a restomod shop in Mocksville, NC.

Comment

Working...
                      X