brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brakes

I've got a 64 bird with drum brakes. will be changing front to disc brakes soon. My question is can I use the drum spindles or do I need to use the 1965 spindles that came from a parts car. I got the rotors, calipers, back plate and the spindles from a 65 bird that was in our local junk yard. Thanks, Larry.

You will need to use the disc brake spindles so there is something for the calipers to bolt on to.

Comment

Dark Soul is correct. The disc brake spindles are completely different. The only way to keep your original spindles is to use an aftermarket disc brake kit.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

My Master Parts Catalog lists only ONE type of spindle so I assume it covers all the front brake systems:
        1965-6 C5SZ 3105&6-A
        1965-6 C5SZ 3105 is RH and 3106 is the LH. - Dave
        My latest project:
        CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

The '64 spindles are part number C3SZ-3105 & 3106 so they didn't reuse them when they went to discs. All '65 Thunderbirds had front disc brakes. There was no front drum option in '65. You can certainly compare the spindles when you have them apart but I think you'll find that they are much different.

John

Comment

As you can see in the pictures your '64 spindles have four bolt holes while the '65 spindles only have three.

John
            64 front brakes.jpg65 front brakes.jpg

Comment

Thanks one and all, I should have known the difference in the spindles. Thanks again, Larry.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Tappen View Post
                ...My question is can I use the drum spindles or do I need to use the 1965 spindles that came from a parts car. I got the rotors, calipers, back plate and the spindles from a 65 bird that was in our local junk yard...
                If Larry gets the '65 spindles, will it work on his 64? I think that is what he is asking because he already has the rest of the hardware to complete the disc brakes.

I think he can swap spindles. - Dave

My latest project:
                CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Dave, I do have the 65 spindles. I'll be swapping them out for the 64's. I'll also be putting in new upper and lower ball joints. Thanks everyone, Larry.

Comment

Larry,

I would measure where the tie rods go into the old spindle before you remove it. The steering parts are different from '64 to '65. You may have to make some major adjustments. I believe the lower control arm is also different so I would check the angle of the spindle.

John

Comment

John, thanks for the advice, Larry

Comment

Working...
                      X