Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Tappen
    replied
    thanks dave, got new spectra tank today. will try to mount this weekend, larry.

Leave a comment:

• pbf777
    replied
    Note that many newer (in the '90's +/- ?) automotive fuel tanks are no longer "galvanized" or even the "Galvalume" coated product, but rather some sort of epoxy paint coated, which we have witnessed, can be sensitive to some additives poured in the tank.

Scott.

Leave a comment:

• simplyconnected
    replied
    Steel used in fuel tank stampings is already coated. They refer to the coating as 'tin' but I believe it's galvanized (zinc). So if you get a new tank that meets or exceeds OEM spec's, it is already coated. Trying to refurbish a rusty tank is futile. Use that money towards buying a new one for two hundred bucks. BTW, new tanks come with a warranty. - Dave

Leave a comment:

• Larry Tappen
    replied
    Thanks for the reply John, Larry.

Leave a comment:

• jopizz
    replied
    Originally posted by Larry Tappen View Post
    I,m still wondering if the tank needs to have a sealing coat on the inside? Thanks again, Larry.
    No. It does not need any sealer inside.

John

Leave a comment:

• Larry Tappen
    replied
    I guess I missed that about the gallon capacity verses I gal. Thanks one and all,Larry. I,m still wondering if the tank needs to have a sealing coat on the inside? Thanks again, Larry.

Leave a comment:

• simplyconnected
    replied
    I'm sure the Shop Manual is written in US standards. Otherwise, even the engine oil capacity would be confusing.
    I've had Ford cars made in St. Thomas, Ontario (my '71 Pinto that I loved so much) and in Oakville, Ontario (my '84 Tempo). All those capacities were in US.

Here in the States, we give an estimate that 5 US quarts equals one Imperial gallon. Actually, it equals slightly more (1.04 Imp. gal.)

The one that threw me when I was in the UK was the pint. Theirs is 20% more than a US pint. Theirs is more serious at the pubs.
    It makes sense because the UK (imperial) gallon also has 20% more than the US gallon.

Leave a comment:

• YellowRose
    replied
    Then that brings up the question... Is it really a 22US Gal tank, or a 20US Gal tank? I read somewhere that it was originally a 20US Gal tank, but was increased to 22 US Gal sometime in the production process...

Leave a comment:

• bird 60
    replied
    22 us gallons = 18.31 imp gallons. 20 us gallons is 16.65 imp gallons.

Chris......From OZ.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Leavens
    replied
    Larry: Ray is right, it is a good tank. Those darn Canadians and their metric system caught me offguard when I was in my teens here in Canada

Leave a comment:

• YellowRose
    replied
    Larry, here is the deal! Spectra is the only company that makes our Tbird gas tanks, and they are a Canadian company, using Imperial Gallons as their rating. 16.5IG (though they do not tell you that they are using the Imperial Gallon rating) relates to 22US Gallons... John ~ jopizz said that he has replaced gas tanks on his Flairbirds in the past, and the Spectra gas tanks are exactly the same as the OEM one, gallon rating and all. So you really are getting a 22 Gallon tank...

Leave a comment:

• Larry Tappen
    started a topic 1964 Fuel Tank

1964 Fuel Tank

I have a 64 bird. I'm going to be replacing the fuel tank soon. I'm wondering why the shop manual says 22 gal. and the spectra tanks say 16.5? Also is it nessary to coat the inside of the tank before install? Thanks,Larry.
Working...
X