X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

Debris coming out of air vents

Hey everybody, I have a 1966 Town Landau, I have debris coming out of my air vents when I have the air conditioning on or just air blowing. I believe its the foam seal from the vent doors breaking down, its aggravating because the stuff will blow's right in my face and gets in mine and my passenger eyes. I don't want to redo the foam seals, I don't care if they don't have seals. Is there a way to get all that debris out? I have tried blowing compressed air into the defrost vents as well as the other vents, but still debris comes out. Any suggested would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!
  • Dark Soul
    Apprentice
    • May 2 2019

There's a huge plenum under the openings between the bottom of the windshield and the hood, and that is probably full of debris from fallen leaves, etc. Two ways to get at it.

1. There are two cowl drains under the hood at the leading edge corners. These come off with what are basically hose clamps. Take them off and get a vacuum in there and get out as much as you can, then use a water spray from a hose and flush out the remainder. You can also use a long pipe brush along with a water flush. Don't put the hose up the drain openings because you will likely get water down the two vent openings (drivers side at the far corner, passengers empties into the interior heater plenum) then into the cabin.

2. If it's really bad then you can remove the cover. First take off the windshield wipers and cowl fittings. You need a special tool (inexpensive) for the threaded ring. There are screws along the cover's leading edge and sides. Then slide forward under the windshield trim and lift up and off. One you do that you will have full access and can carefully clean, check for rust, paint, seal....

Comment

• tbirdmike63
      Experienced
      • May 4 2017

Thanks for you reply, but I don't think its debris from the cowl area, (leaves etc.) it looks to be bits of black foam from the air vent door seals. I guess what i would like to know is, has anybody experienced this? I don't want to take the dash apart, I hope over time it will dissipate, unless there is an easier way get the remaining foam seal that's falling apart out of the dash? Thanks!

Comment

• Dark Soul
        Apprentice
        • May 2 2019

The air vent seals are rubber, not foam.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
          Experienced
          • May 4 2017

I think the more I use the air conditioning or vent on high its blowing the last of the debris, I guess over time I assume it will get better. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎