Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Patrick, do your homework on whatever welder you buy before you put your money down. You are looking for a decent welder at a fair price.

Many times a shop will upgrade their equipment, selling perfectly good stuff for more expensive (higher duty cycle) welders. That's the kind of deal you're looking for.

The USAWELD.com site is a guide for you to recognize popular welding names. This is important for price and availability of parts and interchanges. Yes, interchanges.

My welding machine is a Lincoln but just about all the parts I use on it are made by TWECO. Our MIG welders at Ford were ESAB but all the consumables were Tweco parts. The quality is there and the prices are better than OEM. I never would have known about this if there weren't many hundreds of MIG (and stick) welders in the Dearborn Frame Plant. They all eventually use service parts. Perhaps the welder you buy might need new wheels or a $12 liner. So for a little money you can bring it back to 'new' again.

Don't be afraid to buy a 230 volt welder. Yes, 115 volts sounds convenient but not many 115 volt circuits are thirty amps or higher. 230 volt machines typically require a 20 amp circuit (wired with #12AWG copper). That means you will probably install a circuit for your new welder. Higher voltage keeps your wire sizes small. For instance, that 40' of primary wire for my welder is #14 wire. Even if you have to change the ends, everyone sells 50', #14 extension cord. Lower voltage welders need heavier cable. That kicks up the availability and cost because not many places sell #10 extension cord.

These are considerations you need to prepare for as you plan for your new welder. I wouldn't exactly call them 'portable' (as in hand-carry) but they wheel around very easily. So, determine how far it needs to go because most welding handles are typically ten feet long.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• pat64tbird
      Apprentice
      • Apr 3 2014

Hello Dave,

I'll do my homework. I still have the 220 volt outlet that I used for my Lincoln AC stick welder. All I need to do is change the outlet to what the MIG has.
      This outlet was wired for heavy loads so it will be safe. Thank you and the other members for all of you help.

Sincerely,

Patrick

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by pat64tbird
        ...I still have the 220 volt outlet that I used for my Lincoln AC stick welder. All I need to do is change the outlet to what the MIG has...
        Keep that receptacle the way it is but install an additional box and receptacle next to it. Pipe the boxes together and use #10 copper stranded, type THHN (available at Home Depot), jumper wires to feed the new receptacle. Three #10 wires will fit nicely in 1/2" or 3/4" EMT. With all heavy duty service, make sure you mount the boxes real well.

You will never use both welders at the same time so there is no danger of overloading the welding circuit.

When you find the welder you want, there will be a NEMA number on the plug. Simply match that with a receptacle. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• pat64tbird
          Apprentice
          • Apr 3 2014

Thanks Dave. Has anyone ordered patch panels from the vendor called 'Bird Nest'? If not, what vendor do you recommend?

Patrick

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Lots of rust.

I bought a floor pan from them once and have bought many of my parts from the Bird Nest and am very pleased with their help, especially Don. Try them.
            Last edited by YellowRose; July 11, 2014, 10:44 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• pat64tbird
              Apprentice
              • Apr 3 2014

Thanks Ray.

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Most of the reproduction parts including patch panels are made by the same manufacturer so check around for the best price. A word of warning though, don't expect the patch panels to look and fit like the originals, They will need a lot of massaging to look like factory panels.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• pat64tbird
                  Apprentice
                  • Apr 3 2014

Hello John,

I agree, that's why I'm going to trim off only what I need to get the job done. The more factory steel saved the better.
                  I'll compare other vendors prices. Thank you.

Patrick

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎