X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kbuhagiar
    • May 28 2020

Adjusting Fitment of Fill Panel attached to Convertible Top

Hello Folks,

I am working on the fit and finish of all of the panels associated with the convertible top on my 62.

See pictures below - I would like to get the convertible top trim panel to fit flush with the body. Right now the panel sits about 1/4" too high on both sides. 20210608_151454.jpg 20210608_151435.jpg
    I've scoured all of the manuals and the Internet but I can't find any reference to this adjustment.

Any tips, tricks or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • OUR5T8BIRD
    Experienced
    • Mar 1 2017

If you have the shop manual, " Group 11 - body " Page 11-54 & Part 11-4 - convertible top , page 11-55 . Hope this helps .

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

If you do not have a shop manual you need to get one. The instructions for troubleshooting and fixing Convertible tops is in the Technical Resource Library. It covers everything from 1960-1966 as I recall. Read through it... There is also a lot of information regarding the 1958-1959 Squarebird Convertible Tops which that troubleshooting booklet does not cover in it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It sounds like you may need to adjust the top erect limit switch. It looks like the contact tab is set too low which is causing the package tray not to go to the full down position before the trunk starts to close. Try loosening the bolts and moving it higher. That should allow the package tray to go flush with the body before the trunk lid begins to close.

John

61-63 limit switches.jpg
        61-63 limit switch.jpg
        Last edited by jopizz; June 9, 2021, 11:52 AM.
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• kbuhagiar
          • May 28 2020

Originally posted by jopizz
          It sounds like you may need to adjust the top erect limit switch. It looks like the contact tab is set too low which is causing the package tray not to go to the full down position before the trunk starts to close. Try loosening the bolts and moving it higher. That should allow the package tray to go flush with the body before the trunk lid begins to close.

John
          Thanks to all for the replies.

For the record, I do indeed have ALL of the shop manuals for my 62, but I could not find any specific reference for my particular issue.

John, that was the first thing I thought of, especially since there is also enough space between the bottom of the rubber seal and the top of the body to allow a piece of thin cardboard to slide through on both sides. I did try to adjust the top erect limit switch, to no avail, the top would not erect any further. The only thing I can think of is perhaps there is something obstructing the top from erecting any further. My next step will be to look for any possible obstructions. Any other ideas in the meantime?

Thanks again.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Try disconnecting the pistons and see if the tray goes all the way down. That will eliminate anything in the hydraulics or electrics that may be keeping it from going fully erect. If it still doesn't go flush to the body then you will have to look at where the package tray bolts to the top frame. There are lots of mechanical adjustments that can be made to the top frame that can also affect the package tray. Also what is the condition of the tray itself. Many times they have rusted through and been poorly repaired. That will definitely cause fitment problems.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• kbuhagiar
              • May 28 2020

Originally posted by jopizz
              Try disconnecting the pistons and see if the tray goes all the way down. That will eliminate anything in the hydraulics or electrics that may be keeping it from going fully erect. If it still doesn't go flush to the body then you will have to look at where the package tray bolts to the top frame. There are lots of mechanical adjustments that can be made to the top frame that can also affect the package tray. Also what is the condition of the tray itself. Many times they have rusted through and been poorly repaired. That will definitely cause fitment problems.

John
              John, disconnecting the pistons sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a try.

The tray itself appears to be original, undamaged and in excellent condition, so I think I'm good there.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎