Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Convertible Deck Lid Adjustment

Hello Folks,

I may need to adjust the deck lid on my 62 Convertible fore and aft. The manual has a vague mention about 'slightly loosening hinge bolts' to accomplish this. The deck lid is attached to the rearward hinges by two bolts on either side, and are perpendicular to the ground when closed, which would allow for up-and-down adjustment but I cannot understand how I can adjust fore-and-aft with these bolts.

Obviously I am overlooking another point of adjustment, but for the life of me I don't know what it is.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The holes are oversized so there is side to side as well as top to bottom adjustment possible.

John

61-3 deck lid adjustment.jpg
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Originally posted by jopizz View Post
      The holes are oversized so there is side to side as well as top to bottom adjustment possible.

John
      John,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your time and effort.

Here are two pictures of the right side trunk hinge on my 62 Convertible (the left side is the same). There are two bolts on each side (the second bolt is not visible because it is the hole). 62 TB hinge.jpg 62 Tbird hinge.jpg

In these pictures the deck lid is fully open. When closed these bolt heads will be vertical to the ground. That would allow for side-to-side or up-and-down adjustment but I may need to adjust the deck lid forward, to narrow the gap between the front edge of the deck lid and the rear edge of the finish panel.

This is my quandary; there doesn't seem to be a provision for adjusting the deck lid fore-and-aft.

Thanks again.

Comment

If you follow that hinge arm down and behind the bumper , it sits on a flat surface or horizontal bracket that will allow the lid to slide forward or backward . Hope this helps .

Keep in mind, the screws are at a slight angle forward, so when they take over from the hydraulics on closing, they will move the deck lid slightly forward narrowing the gap between the lid and the package tray .
        Last edited by OUR5T8BIRD; June 10th, 2021, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OUR5T8BIRD View Post
          If you follow that hinge arm down and behind the bumper , it sits on a flat surface or horizontal bracket that will allow the lid to slide forward or backward . Hope this helps .

Keep in mind, the screws are at a slight angle forward, so when they take over from the hydraulics on closing, they will move the deck lid slightly forward narrowing the gap between the lid and the package tray .
          Thanks for the reply.

Aarrgh, I really don't want to remove the bumper to adjust the deck lid, so let's hope for the best.

Comment

Working...
          X