1962 Thunderbird Classic Air installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Thunderbird Classic Air installation

Anyone install aftermarket AC on 1962 Thunderbird? I ordered a system from Classic Auto Air. I am preparing for installation. So far so good! Just wondering if anyone has done this. I also had the radiator tested and bought all new hoses, thermostat, fan shroud, fan clutch and new fan blade. I gets very hot where I live so I need to keep cool and not overheat the motor.

Hi Tony, I don't know if anyone one here has installed the CAA "Perfect Fit" system in a Bulletbird, but a number have on their Squarebird. I am sure many have over the years, but I do not recall anyone here owning a Bulletbird as being one who has. I happen to know Dwight and Steven at CAA quite well, having worked with them with several of our Squarebird owners in installing their Squarebird version in their Tbirds. Does your Bulletbird already have OEM AC in it? That might be a help if it does. Do you have the capability to do the install yourself, or will you have someone professional do it for you? Is CAA supplying the necessary water pump pulley(s) and mounting brackets to mate their unit to your engine bay? I assume you have a 390 in that Bulletbird... If I can be of help in finding parts, please let me know.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thank you Yellow Rose for offering support. I finally received my Classic Air system. Since waiting for 4 weeks I had the opportunity to download the 28 page instructions and start disassembling in preparation for the new AC System. I have also pressure tested the radiator and bought a fan shroud that was missing and a correct fan blade and new fan clutch. I also bought a tough stuff 100 amp alternator and new brackets for the alternator. I am able to do all the work myself so that helps too. I also hav removed all the a luminum trim inside. I have carefully sand blasted each piece and plan to powder coat them a similar color to the seats. I have taken many pics and plan to share/post once I figure out how. I think I can install everything with the AC system as it is documented very well.

As for installation of the tuff stuff one wire 100 amp alternator. The one wire part is simple but I’m not sure what to do with the voltage regulator wiring. I also want to hook up the alt/gen light if possible. I will have to take a look at the wiring diagram and try to figure it out.

By the way I love working on this car. It is definitely a modified version of the bulletbird. It’s candy apple red with custom interior and also has a 1500 watt Bluetooth Amp with 4 speakers. Just need AC! If there’s any interest I will continue to post updates. Thanks

Comment

Hi Tony, I see the CAA "Perfect Fit" AC unit has shown up and you are getting ready to install it. If you need any assistance from CAA keep in mind that I know Steve and Dwight very well. Over the years, I have worked with them in helping other Tbird owners get and install one of their units. Mainly, that consisted of me doing any coordination necessary with them, and looking for and find parts that might be needed to install their unit on their Tbird. Hopefully, you will have the necessary pulley(s) you will need to do the conversion. If the Bulletbird is like the Squarebird, there is a three grooved crankshaft pulley that you will probably need to make this work. What the Squarebird owners had to do was to find a single groove pulley to add to it to get that 3rd grooved pulley. I see you have checked out the radiator, bought a fan shroud which should certainly help with cooling, and a five blade or more fan.

It is good that you are taking a lot of pix. Everyone should do this when they are working on their Tbird. Then they will have the pix to fall back on when it comes time to put everything back in place. I see you will be able to do the AC install yourself, which is very good. As for the one wire 100A alternator, you are gonna need it with that audio system you have on the car. However, Dave ~ simplyconnected, has always urged our members to buy the 3 wire version. You certainly want to be able to hook up that new alternator, through the VR to the alt/gen light so you will know if something goes wrong with the alternator. Like if it fails, or you lose the belt. I had a 1 wire on my '59 when I had it (this was before it was suggested to me to buy a 3 wire), and my mechanic had to run a wire from the alternator to the VR and attach it to the lead that goes from the VR to the Gen light. Someone may have to tell you how to do it, because I did not do it and my guy probably would never be able to remember what he did after all these years. If you do not have the wiring diagram for your Tbird, look in the Technical Resource Library and you will find it there. Bring up the TRL, hit the Ctrl button on your keyboard, followed by the letter F (F=Find), type in wiring diagram and it should take you right to them.

We would love to see pix of your Tbird. There are several ways to do this. As a Paid Member, you can post your pix directly on our Server. Paid Membership is $20yr, and payable via PayPal. You can donate by clicking on the Donate To Site link at the top of the Forum, in the banner. Another way is to send them to me or John ~ jopizz and we can post them for you. Another way is to use a free picture hosting website like Photobucket, upload the pix to it, and then post the link to them. In either case, you need to keep the pix to no larger than 1024pixels.. If you have any questions, just give either John ~ jopizz a call or me. Both our phone numbers are in our signature elements on anything we post. Good luck and continuing posting as you go about putting everything together, along with the pix of what things are looking like. If you want to post pix of just what the car looks like, they can be posted in the Our Rides Forum for all to enjoy. We would love to see the customization of your Tbird. As I said, they can be sent to me or John for posting if you wish. However, if you want to post the technical pix as you show the work you are doing, Paid Membership will allow you do so yourself, as you post your work in the 1961-1963 Bulletbird Forum.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
        X