Lock cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock cylinder

The person I bought my '62 hardtop from purchased it at an estate sale and there were no keys so he drilled out all the lock cylinders. I bought a new ignition lock cylinder and trunk lock cylinder from ebay. The ignition lock works pretty well but the trunk lock cylinder is just a piece of crap and isn't really working. The actuator and latch inside are fine and I want a higher quality replacement lock cylinder. Can you guys recommend a good one?

You should be able to get a new trunk lock and 2 key set from the Bird Nest or any of the Tbird parts houses. It is interesting to see, looking at the Bird Nest catalog on page 77, that the 1961-1963 Bulletbird used the same trunk lock and keys as the '58-'59 Squarebirds! Part #43505A for both, $23.95. The 1960 Squarebird had a different trunk lock set up and used a different one. Talk with Don at the Bird Nest and tell him what you need see if he has had anyone having a bad experience with what they are selling for your Bulletbird..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

It seems that the Thunderbird vendors carry two different trunk lock cylinders. One that comes with generic keys that seems to be cheaply made and one with reproduction Ford keys which seems to be a little higher quality and about twice the price. In this case you probably get what you pay for.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Originally posted by jopizz View Post
        It seems that the Thunderbird vendors carry two different trunk lock cylinders. One that comes with generic keys that seems to be cheaply made and one with reproduction Ford keys which seems to be a little higher quality and about twice the price. In this case you probably get what you pay for.

John
        Yes and I got the set with the reproduction Ford keys. They looked OK in the picture online but when handling them you can see that the logo is very lightly stamped in the metal and the keys bend easily. The lock barrel itself either jams or freewheels depending on it's mood. I think all of the parts places only have the same two sets. I've found an NOS OEM Ford set on ebay, and it's expensive but I think I'll shell out the money and get it.

Comment

Working...
        X
        Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'test.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php72/root/usr/share/pear') in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78