X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skorper
    Apprentice
    • Jul 19 2020

Removing rear view mirror

My rear view mirror is in need of replacement as the silvering is gone behind the glass. My buddy was junking his truck and let me take the one off of his windshield as it is glued onto the windshield just like mine. I tried prying it with a razor blade but couldn't make any headway at all. Next I tried brute force to pull it off and cracked the glass. I don't want to take any chances on doing the same to my
    Bird. Is there a trick or something to getting the mirror off?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Ford windshields come with that 'shoe' already on the glass from the glass plant. The glue is basically a 'hot-melt' glue, not super-glue or epoxy. At the assembly plant, the assembler simply grabs a new mirror and shoves it down onto the shoe. They come off the same way (yes, it happens when the guy grabs a mirror for a convertible with lights but the glass is for a coupe). The shoe has an upside down 'V' configuration so sharply tapping the mirror UP at the base will slide it back off.

I suppose you could use tools but the guys on the line simply use their hand. Windshield repair places often take the mirror off the damaged windshield and re-mount it on the new. If you're still sketchy about this, visit your local auto glass store and talk with one of the installers. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• skorper
      Apprentice
      • Jul 19 2020

OK thanks. So I take it if I obtain an original or reproduction mirror I can remove mine from the shoe/base and install the new one in the same base?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes, all you have to do is loosen the screws on the extension piece, remove the old mirror and extension from the ball attached to the windshield, insert the new one and tighten the screws.

John

62 rear view mirror.jpg
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• skorper
          Apprentice
          • Jul 19 2020

Will do. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡