Detent Plate Install 62HT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detent Plate Install 62HT

I figured i would get a head start on the detent before all the parts arrived next week in case a gremlin popped up. Taking off the nut i noticed that the previous scribe marks from the P/O do not line up. Is it possible that the previous marks could slip somehow or was it possibly installed misaligned last time? Does that matter at this point as long as i scribe where they are now or is there a issue? Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by flyinthermals; July 4th, 2020, 11:19 PM.
    sigpic1999.jpg

Many times when a front end alignment is done the steering wheel will be off a hair from it's original position and needs to be reset. If it's straight in line with the front wheels now then I would remark it.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

The wheels are straight with the scribed mark at 11 o'clock. So the scribed mark, even though it is off to the left at about 11 o'clock is good to go? I will scribe it at its current position and follow that upon reassembly. Maybe its due for a alignment after I put it back together. Thank you again John.
      sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

I have a few questions at this point before I install the detent. This is the first time ever doing this type of work so I want to be sure and have a visual of what I'm doing before continuing. I'm only getting bits of info from the shop, body and electrical manuals. Thank you for your patience.

1. When should the bearing and sleeve be replaced. Before installing the detent?
        2. I will be leaving the column in the car to install the bearing and have read that its best to undo the bolts from the steering box and pull up on the shaft to release the bearing and sleeve. Entering from above looks hard, Is it better from the wheel well?
        3.Should I mark the column where it enters the steering box to ensure they line up after installing the bearing or will the spline fall back into the steering box and be orientated with the worm gear exactly without any adjustments?
        4. Does the bearing then the sleeve simply press in by tapping using a socket after applying bearing grease or is there a better way?
        5. I grab the spline and no play or wear is observed. Should I skip the bearing and sleeve step or is it worth removing to have a better look.

thank you.
        sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

Rob, have you looked at and read through the instructions in the TRL for the 1961-1963 Bulletbirds? If not, here is that link. It might answer your questions.

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...eplacement.pdf

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Thank you Ray. This is the resource I'm using. It doesn't cover the upper bearing, sleeve and steering box. I could probably go ahead without replacing the bearing and sleeve but since I'm here. I'm waiting on the sleeve which should be here on Thursday so I got lots of time to figure this out. I just don't want to create a nightmare.

I think I'm using too many sources. Why I read you have to undo the spline shaft from steering box to free the bearing and sleeve I don't know?????
            mine just popped out.
            Last edited by flyinthermals; July 5th, 2020, 09:14 PM.
            sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

Flyin,

I will be following this thread, as I am the process of doing exactly the same thing, including the bearing, with the added bonus of repairing or replacing the horn contact ring/wie (which I found broken upon removal of the steering wheel).

Comment

Im a little closer. The first picture shows this wire that came off during the process. I have to figure out where this goes. I might have to pull the seat to be able to see properly where this detached from.

The detent looks good and like many many others, the shifter has worn away. I'm assuming the pin in. the fourth picture is what I have to punch out by hitting down to get the shifter off. I'm glad I purchased a new collar. The wandering pin has cut quite the grove in this one.

The fifth picture shows a horn wire I think. Does it look broken? Did this not sit in a opening where the horn pin and spring rested against or was it fused to the pin/spring?

The 6th picture shows the bearing and sleeve which both look good other than being dirty. I hope to install them without damaging the sleeve. Open bearing end facing toward engine upon install.
                wire.jpgwire1.jpgdetent pic.jpgshift pin.jpg

horn wire.jpg20200705_213303.jpg
                sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

Hopefully, John ~ jopizz will be able to answer your questions regarding the bearings, sleeve and steering box...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

I think I will wait for the sleeve to show up before I continue with the install. There are a couple of hundred other things to keep me busy on this blessed bird.
                    The sleeve that I ordered looks different. sleeve.jpg
                    sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by flyinthermals View Post
                      Im a little closer.

The fifth picture shows a horn wire I think. Does it look broken? Did this not sit in a opening where the horn pin and spring rested against or was it fused to the pin/spring?
                      Flyin,

Unfortunately that wire appears to be broken off, just like I found mine. I take it your horn was inoperative?
                      I am in the process of researching how to fix this, either repair or (preferably) replace. You probably want to sort that before you go any further.
                      This is how it should look:

Comment

Hey KBUHAGIAR,

Im Not Sure. I cant remember the last time i used the horn. OH BOY. Gremlins. I probably dislodged it when taking off the plate. Hanging on by a hair. Thats why i like to ask questions before doing anything for the first time. Im trying to avoid these hidden issues just waiting to bite. A few more dollars. A bit more time.
                        sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

Wire in way.jpgtoggle.jpgpin and spring.jpg
                          I have the new detent in place. Snug fit. Im not sure how i'm going to get the old collar off. Picture 1 and 2 shows this toggle switch is in the way. Do i have to cut the wires to the switch and rewire? There also looks to be 2 more screws holding a plate that is pushing down on a pin and spring under tension that the shift lever pushes against in picture 2. I am not sure whats behind that door but it looks like those screws must also com off to remove the old collar.
                          sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

When replacing the shift collar the turn signal switch needs to be removed. To do that you need to disconnect the six wires at the bottom of the steering column and pull it through. They are bullet connectors. Make sure you tape some heavy string or thin wire around them before you pull it out so you can fish it back down when you are done. It's a tricky job but that's how it's done. I haven't replaced the shift collar on a bulletbird so hopefully someone else who's done it can chime in.

John
                            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

Thanks John. Whats the best way to install the upper bearing and bushing so as not to wreck the sleeve? Press the bearing and sleeve as one piece on the shaft and place the round housing that holds the detent on top until it inserts into the housing, or insert it in the opening of the housing first and then push it on the shaft together as one piece? Use just general bearing grease for lube?
                              sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X