Generator Brush Install 62 HT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator Brush Install 62 HT

My generator light on my 62 HT is flickering occasionally. Especially during higher RPM. I checked all the connections and they look tight and true. I have ordered a set of brushes and have looked over the shop manual but wondering how difficult it is to install new brushes? I am a rookie working with electricity but am willing to learn. I had the generator rebuilt about 4 years ago and i am surprised the brushes could be worn already. Can i get away with just installing, sanding and seating the brushes or is there other considerations that must be addressed? Thanks to all who reply.
    sigpic1999.jpg

How many miles have you driven since it was rebuilt? Have you checked the voltage regulator? It could be worn or dirty contacts. Don't always assume it's brushes. They aren't hard to replace though.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Hello John,

I was reading through some troubleshooting info for the flickering Gen light and the brushes is what came up. Its been about 5000 miles roughly since the Gen rebuild. I will look at the voltage reg. I replaced that about 5 years ago. I guess there is a way to test it with a meter and while with the car running? Im a rookie with electricity so any tips on where to hook up the meter to what wires and the numbers i should be looking for would be appreciated?
      Attached Files
      sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

Brushes don't go bad in 5000 miles unless the springs break. They would've been replaced when it was rebuilt. The voltage regulator looks original to me. It certainly doesn't look like it was replaced within the last five years. Make sure you replace that bolt that's missing. It needs to be solidly grounded to the car body to work correctly. A flickering generator light at times is perfectly normal. It does not work like an alternator. If the light turns solid and stays that way then I would be concerned or if the battery looses charge. I would see how many volts you have at the battery with the car running. If it's over 13 volts then I would not be concerned.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thanks John. I would feel better seeing no light flashing but I will have to find my meter and will test the battery. It only seems to do it when I am accelerating and not all the time. The reg was a good used one that someone gave me. When i experienced the gen light coming on years ago the previous reg was tested and was determined to be faulty. I put this good used one in and it solved the problem. Its possible that this one is now toast as well.
          sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X