Detent Plate Install 62 Tbird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detent Plate Install 62 Tbird

I finally made time and decided to install a new detent, collar, upper bearing and shift lever. But i forgot to consider the bushing. Unfortunately I cannot find the bushing in Canada after calling many part stores so I must place another order from down south and wait. Not the mention the shipping for that little part. I have read dozens of detail on installation but was wondering about the upper bearing and bushing. How do I tell if either are worn? I read that the column dances around when they are worn. I have a bit of movement but it's hard to tell if its the moveable steering wheel needing adjusting or the bearing and bushing. Is there any way to tell while the bearing and bushing are still installed or will I have to remove them to see their condition? I'm wondering once I'm at the detent I will have a better view of their condition? I'm just wondering before I start. If in fact I need a bushing, I don't want the car stuck incomplete and not being able to drive it while I wait for the bushing. Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.
    sigpic1999.jpg

The best way to check for wear is to remove it and see if there's any side to side play or grinding. Once you have the chrome collar off you will be able to spin it with your fingers and tell if there's excessive wear.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thanks John. I think I will order the bushing just in case.
      sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

Working...
      X