Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunking Sound when Accelerating.

Good Evening All,

I just had my transmission, axle shafts and diff rebuilt on my 1962 hardtop. $$$$$$$ Oh Yea.

It's running beautiful but almost every time i let my foot off the accelerator, which briefly unloads the drive train, and then accelerate again which reloads the drive train, i hear a clunking sound. The drive shaft and U-joints are good. There is no rotational play. The reputable trans shop mentioned 2 things. He said these old cars are not as tight from the engine to the differential and that when you unload and load up the drive train, that a small clunk is common. He also mentioned that he sandblasted the old diff gears and pinion gear which removed a lot of crud which could be the issue but that again, a little clunk is normal. Does anyone disagree and why. It cost quite a bit for these two repairs and i'm hoping that i will never have to address these two parts again. Thanks for any insight you can give in this matter.
    Last edited by flyinthermals; June 7th, 2020, 10:02 PM.
    sigpic1999.jpg

WHAT??? How are axle shafts 'rebuilt'? I've never heard of such a thing. Bearings may be replaced but only if they go bad. Bearings normally give a warning well in advance when they go bad. The other end has a spline that slides into a spider gear. So, the bearing moves and the gear moves but axles themselves don't wear so how can they be rebuilt?

Why would anyone sandblast hardened and ground precision gears? They do not load up with crud like engine parts because there is no combustion in a gear box or differential. In order to get an audible 'clunk' there has to be quite a bit of slop (like bad 'U' joints pose).

Did he sand blast your spider gears too?

Someone is handing you a line of crap. I would go back to the guy and tell him your car didn't have that slop or make noises before he worked on it. Tell him he needs to fix his work. Ford made 480 cars per shift and NONE of them made a 'clunk' noise. Any reputable shop will warranty their work in writing for at least a year or two.

Start your engine and hold your foot hard on the brake. Cycle your transmission from drive to reverse to drive to reverse, etc. There shouldn't be audible slop. - Dave
    My latest project:
    CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Sorry to say.. but you got the Shaft!! No one ever..ever.... sandblast gears!!!! 1) Sounds like it could be a missing /or wrong thrust washer in trans..2) he ruined your diff.!!! to much slop in spiders, side bearing preload incorrect, back lash incorrect I could go on and on!!! Like Dave said.. take it back and tell them you don't want it back till its done right!!! I hate hearing about this kind of crap!!

Comment

Thanks for your insight everyone. I will have to find a 3rd party to access the transmission. I have not heard or read a bad review about this shop and they are the only one that does the volume of old cars they do for 60 years. Owner is really transparent and takes apart the transmission in front of you showing what repairs will be needed and why. I wonder if my evaluation and explanation of the problem is accurate. Could it possibly be engine mounts or something else i have not thought of. Here is the link to the shop.

https://www.lawrencetransmission.ca/

sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

If it didn't make a noise before they worked on it then I don't see any reason to suspect something else. What you describe sounds like it's pinion related.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Rob, you sent me a PM with a LOT more detail.
            This is an open forum and you want input from Tbird owners around the world. Post your details here for your benefit and for the benefit of all of our members. The things you explain in your PM will make much more sense to this thread once you reveal them. - Dave
            My latest project:
            CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

You're right Dave. I did not do a good job fully explaining the problem here. The transmission is running fine. There are other sounds that are presenting themselves at the same time as I try to troubleshoot the transmission. The transmission shifts fine and smooth between gears. It rolls down the road nice and quiet. The only issue I notice is that when shifting from park to reverse or from any drive position to reverse, the shift seems to act as though the idle was set too high. I have it set at around 675 rpm. The engine/carb runs the best at this setting. Thanks for everyones input.
              sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X