60 convertible; what are these parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John,

the little tank has only one hose connection, seen the way the tank is Photographed its on top. on the side are the 2 mounting bolts.

'scumdog'(whats in a name!) thanks for your reply. I think the part is new or a replacement of something and yes it is always possible that its not from my car at all. I purchased the car from a guy that had lots of cars and he grabbed what he thought belonged to the car and threw it in. On the other hand because of that I am missing a lot of parts too.
    Missing is the oil-filter assembly, steering-wheel inside (horn) ring, the power steering cylinder mounted under the engine. ignition key and lock etc.

Missing also is the cover plate/inspection for the bottom part of the converter housing

brings me to another question,
    under the dash on the dashboard trim there is a hole for a switch, but what switch? I have seen a picture somewhere from a 60 t bird with the switch in it but not all pics I have seen from other 60's tbirds have this switch. What belongs there??
    its on the right side of the steering column before the Top activation handle.
    My first thought that it would be for the 'overdrive' activation but my car is an automatic and the overdrive was only used for a manual gearbox is this correct??

And what is the English name for the body part that is under the door? Door sill?
    On the passenger side of my car that metal body part bottom door sill? is in bad shape. just looking for the correct name for that part so I can start looking for it.
    For the rest the car is practically rust free.

regards
    ron
    Last edited by kuusamon; November 26th, 2009, 04:34 PM. Reason: forgot something
    sigpicGreets,
    Ronald
    Kuusamo
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

Comment

Ron yes they are called " door sills " or some call them " kick plates." Any of the parts suppliers ( like Bob's posted on our main page ) have them in stock but they vary in price so check. Suggestion is when you get the new sills make sure the screws are put in flat to recess the matching diameter of the sills. Better yet upgrade to a good stainless steel screw that will last and look better longer.Nothing worse than new " sills " and ratty partly rusty screws.
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Thanks Dan,
        I thought my English was good but names of parts of cars seems another story, most I know. Also trying to figure out where 'rocker panels' exactly go.

'scumdog' was right about the mystery part. It does go between the radiator and grill or on top of the radiator. it is at least a radiator connection part, I just got a mail from the previous owner about it.
        sigpicGreets,
        Ronald
        Kuusamo

Comment

Originally posted by kuusamon View Post
          ...Also trying to figure out where 'rocker panels' exactly go...
          When you look at the side of a car, the rocker panels are that thin strip you see just below the doors. They start behind your fender (just below the front door), and stretch to the front of the quarter panel. If you have a four-door, the rocker panel is under both doors on each side. Rocker panels are steel and are spot welded to your floor pans. The aluminum scuff plates screw into them. Hope this helps. - Dave
          My latest project:
          CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Aha, good to know, so the 'door sill' is actually the 'doorstep' or threshold'(as in a house) meaning you can only see them when the door is opened.
            The rocker panels connect with the door sills on the top. The rocker panels is what you see on the outside of the car when the door is closed and are under the door.

Then the rocker panel on the passenger side is what I need.
            the car is painted of course so the panels must also be welded to the rear fender lower quarte panel bottom and the frond fender?
            Or if I take the paint away the are partly spot welded (to the floorpan) and the rest screwed on?

there is a set of rocker panels (used) on ebay.

regards and thanks
            sigpicGreets,
            Ronald
            Kuusamo

Comment

A fender can be unbolted and removed. The rocker panels are not welded to them.
              A quarter panel can NOT be unbolted because they are spot welded in place. The rocker panels ARE spot welded to quarter panels.
              More importantly, rocker panels are also spot welded to your floor pans and inner kick panel steel. They are not designed to be easily removed. The spot welds can be drilled out or ground off using an abrasive wheel. Then the new rocker panel gets welded back in. The only parts that are screwed, are parts that are removeable (like the aluminum scuff plates). So, rocker panels are flat on top, under the scuff plate, roll around to the outside under the door, and are spot welded all the way across the top and bottom from the fender to the quarter panel.

Wait a minute, I notice you are a Squarebirds member. Let me send you a personal message. I will include some catalogs for you. - Dave
              My latest project:
              CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Pic #1 is an aftermarket regulator.
                #2 is the the radiator mounting panel.
                #3 is that previously mentioned vac/rsvr
                John Byers
                1960 Convertible (Orig owner)
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X