Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bottanist
    • Dec 30 2023

Window adjustment help

My ‘59 convertible came with all the window mechanisms removed and in a box. I installed the window, regulator, and associated parts. The driver side rolls down about halfway and then doesn’t roll the rest of the way without considerable help. I’ve tried various adjustments but with no success. What am I missing?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Did you check the window channels. Sometimes the felt will tear and bunch up in the channel and prevent the window from going down.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Bottanist
      • Dec 30 2023

I replaced all the channels with new felt.

Comment

• Voyce
        Experienced
        • Oct 29 2022

Could you provide more information?

Power window or manual?

Did you use old rollers or new rollers?

Did you check to see that the rollers have remained in place on their respective roll tracks while in the half down position?

Does it roll up again?

If so, then is it easy to roll up?

I am confident that if John has a complete idea of all factors, a solution is there.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Voyce is correct. More info would be helpful. One thing to try is to unhook the regulator and the equalizer bracket from the window and move the window up and down by hand to see if it's binding. If it is then it's a channel not adjusted properly. If it's moving smoothly then reattach the regulator and equalizer but leave the bolts slightly loose and try moving the window up and down. The regulator may just need to find it's correct position. Was the counterweight spring removed from the regulator? If so it may not be installed with the correct tension.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Bottanist
            • Dec 30 2023

Excellent information gentlemen. The car is on the lift now so it will be a couple of weeks before I can return to the window work. As soon as this happens I will try what you have suggested and let you know the outcome. The windows are manual with older rollers that have been cleaned and oiled. I’ll post soon. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎