Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Metalflake
    • Feb 8 2024

3 speed manual with overdrive

I've been restoring my 1960 tbird for about 2 years now. It has an original 3 speed with over drive and I'm curios as to how rare that might be . Thank you!
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's certainly not common that's for sure. Unfortunately the number made is not available. You can check the Thunderbird Registry http://www.tbird.info/ to see how many are registered.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Voyce
      Experienced
      • Oct 29 2022

I have no idea as to the accuracy of this link (Ford Thunderbird - Square Bird 58-60 Production Numbers (thunderbirdclub.de)​), 928 3speed OD n 1960.

Perhaps you could contact them for their sources.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It says less than 928 so I don't know what that means or where they got that number. It also give the same number with and without overdrive which makes no sense. It seems like they came up with the percentage of 1% and made the numbers fit.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Voyce
          Experienced
          • Oct 29 2022

Agreed, I would contact them and ask their sources of information before taking them as gospel.

Comment

• Voyce
            Experienced
            • Oct 29 2022

Further to the above is this interesting comment on overdrive production numbers from the forum founder Alexander - 1959 Thunderbird with overdrive - Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum.​

Comment

• Metalflake
              • Feb 8 2024

Thanks for the responses, I,ll have to contact them and keep digging. Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Voyce
                Experienced
                • Oct 29 2022

One last thing:

I know from reading his posts that Ray respects Alan Tast for his knowledge of Bird production numbers:

"Post by Alan H. Tast Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:56 pm
                nzkiwi wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:05 pmI just read an article in The Early Bird magazine for November/December 2019 on page 36 on the question/answer page. Someone had a question on the 3 speed with overdrive and Gil Baumgartner responded with a response that kind of floored me. He stated that "Only approximately one percent of all 1957 Thunderbirds had an overdrive transmission." I find this to be unbelievable but certainly respect Gills knowledge on early birds.
                That statistic held true through the 1950s - 1958-1960 T-birds had 1% with just a standard 3-on-the-tree, and another 1% with OD. As for '55s and '56s the percentages with manual transmissions may be a little higher, but it's been ages since I've needed to reference that statistic.
                Alan H. Tast, AIA
                Technical Director/Past President,
                Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
                Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
                1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster"

See 3 speed transmission w/overdrive - Vintage Thunderbird Club International.

Forum founder Alexander appears to back up Tast's number of 2% for all MT SBirds -

"RE: 1959 t-bird 4speed manual trans

Welcome to the site.

1958 to 1960 had standard 3-speed manual transmissions with the 352 engine. An 3-speed manual with overdrive was optional. With the 430 engine in 1959 and 1960, the automatic transmission was required. The manual transmissions were very rare during the 1958-60 Thunderbird productions,, so they were not available in 1961. 98% of Thunderbirds from 1958-60 had the optional automatic transmissions. No 4-speeds were available. All the manual transmissions where column shift."

See 1959 t-bird 4speed manual trans - Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum.​

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎