X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carolina Tee Bird
    inexperienced
    • Jul 9 2015

what's behind front wheels?

Doing some spring cleaning on my 60 and see a rubber mat piece behind front wheel that runs into engine compartment. Black ribbed mat appears to be a homemade replacement now in torn crumby condition. I did not see any replacements in the catalogues, I asked Birds Nest and he knew the piece I was asking about and said most owners either do without or make their own as that part to his knowledge was not available. Any one know what the part is suppose to look like as mine was modified? I found the same rubber material as was on the car and will use the old as a pattern but could do better with more info as to proper shape and size. Thanks.
  • Voyce
    Experienced
    • Oct 29 2022

Time for the cardboard, the posterboard, the marker, and do not forget, the rule.

What are you using as the material, and how will you affix it?

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

I also bought a sheet of rubber and cut out my own. It's not a precision fit, so there is a lot of forgiveness. Here's a picture for what it's worth. 6284.jpg
      Attached Files

Comment

• Carolina Tee Bird
        inexperienced
        • Jul 9 2015

Nyles: Looking at your photo, I'm seeing a rubber boot from the wheel well to the edge of the bumper. My car doesn't have that, just an open space, Is that the part you made? Is that available? If you look at the upper left side of your photo, you can see the edge of this rectangular open space that goes thru to the engine compartment. This is where I have a partial rubber cover for that opening. The cover extends toward the spark plugs. Ever seen this cover before?

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The rounded pieces are available but that small piece is not to my knowledge. However you have to buy the complete set for both the front and rear splash shields.
          https://www.macsautoparts.com/1958-1...6-30895-1.html

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Carolina Tee Bird
            inexperienced
            • Jul 9 2015

John: this is great! I had no idea I was missing these seals. From Nyles" photo, it looks like there are bolts etc (hardware) for installation. Don't see any or find any installation kit from macs, just the rubber seals.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Trapped water is your enemy here. Most rotted floor pans rust out from trapped water. Therefore, I like using truck bed liner spray, something that adheres well to sheet metal. In 'open areas' like where the steering shaft passes through the firewall, I found a great product at the box stores. It is meant for backyard pond construction and is sold by the yard. It reminds me of black 'sheet innertube' but it's suitable for ground-contact.

I use a breathe-able material under my carpet in case water does get in, like (don't laugh) indoor/outdoor carpet. This stuff is all plastic, it doesn't wick or hold water, is mold resistant, deadens sound and insulates heat. Being under your carpet, it's out of sight. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Carolina Tee Bird
                inexperienced
                • Jul 9 2015

I received the rubber splash guard 6 piece set from mac's that John told me about. looking at it and looking at the car, it's confusing as to exactly where these go. I read the early posts about attaching using the original holes in the metal shield and I assume the rubber goes on the back side of the metal panel but the rubber is not marked so I'm confused about the position of the gasket. In the set is also the rear rubber pieces. looking at my rear fender, I see there is a gasket between the inner and outer fender towards the right. There are 2 bolts on the fender which match the 2 notches on the rubber so I assume this gasket is already there?? The third rubber piece is a mystery. I searched the site for pictures or discussion but I didn't find answers. I called Mac's (Ecklers) and was given a tech email to request info. We will see if they respond. The address for future reference is tech@ecklers.net

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here is a diagram that should help. You can reuse the original staple holes in the metal and attach with new staples or you can use trim adhesive.

John

splash shields.jpg

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here's a picture of the rear passenger side with the seals installed to give you an idea how much of the rubber should be showing.

John

randy h splash shield.jpg

Comment

• Carolina Tee Bird
                      inexperienced
                      • Jul 9 2015

Thank you John. I have taken the diagram and rubber to the driver's side of the car and I see the tiny staple holes but if I align the rubber on the BACK SIDE of the metal shield so I can put a staple through the holes and meet the rubber, there is still a large cap between the bumper and the rubber. I can't find the photo on the forum but I saw one with a front bumper shot and it appeared to be no space at all. Am I correct the rubber goes on the back side of the metal shield? Looking at the rear wheel well, I don't see any metal splash shield to the right of the well and just the inner fender to the left. Should there be a metal shield to the right of the tire? It's the same situation on the passenger side.

Comment

• Eric S
                        Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

I used stainless steel wire as staples. Cut some lengths, drive them through the factory holes in the steel plate, made matching holes on the new rubber and just twisted the wire on the back with a pair of pliers. So it looks like staples from the outside.

I duplicated the rubber and put it on the same place and when I installed the plates in place, I noticed a gap left open. I should have made them "in place" rather than doing the same as factory. Did not noticed before I took them off, the gap was probably t
                        here.

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes, the rubber goes on the back side of the shield. If I remember correctly there is still a gap between the shield and the bumper even with the rubber in place. I don't understand your question regarding the shield behind the front tire. Are you mistaking the rear splash shield for the rear tire. When we say rear splash shield it's behind the front tire against the inner fender as the diagram shows.

John

Comment

• Carolina Tee Bird
                            inexperienced
                            • Jul 9 2015

Apprentice accurately describes me. I've been under the rear tire looking for a splash shield! Thanks for the explanation. On line, you can't see my embarrassed face. So upon inspection of the rear side of the front wheel well, there are the 2 rubber gaskets already there. Odd that just the front were missing. On with the installation. Thanks!

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That's ok. Calling it a rear splash shield is certainly confusing.

John

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎